Question about soy formula

My son had to go on soy formula due to him not being tolerant to regular milk based and also not doing so good with the hypoallergenic one. He seems to be doing better but only thing is that he is very constipated now and cries when he is pushing. Any one out there who switched to soy have the same problem with constipation?

x03e09

Asked by x03e09 at 8:09 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter has been on soy since birth, she has had constipation here and there, but she eats baby food and cereal too, so sometimes that's why. He may be constipated b/c of the switch keep him on it and see if it goes away.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 8:20 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• My boys were constipated here and there with the soy formula. Their doctor told me to just add a little bit of apple juice to their formula if it seemed to not go away. That always helped.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:30 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Yes, switching formula can definitely upset a baby's digestive system. I recommend a bit of apple juice (not watered down if they are constipated. Help them poo by lying them on their back and bicycling their legs gently in the air for a while) It could also be an iron issue. Maybe too much iron in the particular brand you bought?? Make sure to talk to your baby's doctor asap.
    BunnyLove164

Answer by BunnyLove164 at 8:33 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• YES! Soy made my son soooo constipated - when we tried it at 5 weeks, and later at 5 months. He did best (and still does) with Nutramigen (we use the ready-to-feed).
    Ask your doctor for their recommended approach to the constipation based on your baby. Good luck!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 9:54 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Oh, and we used 1/4 tsp. DARK karo syrup (as recommended by our ped), which worked really well for the constipation, but I've now read that many believe it unsafe.
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 9:56 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Oh yeah. Soy can bind a baby up bad. She would get so constipated and poop out little hard marbles. We would do 1/2 ounce of prune juice with 1/2 ounce of water and that would take care of it for a day or two but them right back with the constipation. Our doctor has us put 1/2 ounce (I tablespoon) of prune juice in one bottle a day. She goes everyday with no problems and it is no longer hard. But like always, contact your doctor and see what they say.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:24 PM on Sep. 3, 2009