How much to spend on tile floor?

I had someone come out and give an estimte on tiling our floor. I got an estimate back and it was what I thought was insane. He wants almost 5 grand to tile our house and have the base boards replaced and WE are supposed to supply the grout and tile+the base boards. Our house is tiny. I think it may be about 700 square feet we are wanting tiled and we want to use the larger standered tiles. Is this about right or are they trying to take us?

momthruivf

Asked by momthruivf at 8:10 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Home & Garden

• the estimate sounds high but i dont know where you are. you could do this project yourself with ceramic tile from lowes for around 2 grand or less. setting tile is super easy as long as you know where to put your first tile. baseboarding is easy if you have the right mitre tools. do some research and ask all of your friends and coworkers, chances are pretty good you know someone who could do this with you.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:55 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• You should always get at least three estimates, to give you an idea of what people quote for the job. He may have quoted high. On the other hand, if someone quotes a price way lower than the others, be very suspicious that that contractor is not going to do the job right.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:48 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• You don't need an advanced degree to lay tile. You can really do this yourself.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:03 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• We spent something like $8000-$9000 and that included tiling the kitchen floor, hallway, laundry room, two bathroom floors, a tub surround, a shower surround, the tile around a garden tub, a marble back splash in the kitchen, and two granite counters for the bathrooms. That was for tile, grout, and labor. I know we got a great deal though, since my husband promised repeat business.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:09 PM on Sep. 4, 2009