Can anyone give me some tips or advice on how to start a budget for my family?

My husband just got laid off from his job. So now we need to really watch every penny we spend. I am always saying I need to budget our money and never stick to it. Does anyone have tips or ideas on how to stay on track?? Please help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:36 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Money & Work

• one thing that greatly helps us is plan a meal menu. Cut out non necessities right away cable, extras on cell phone plan like unlimited text messaging, see if you can enroll in a stable energy bill plan...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:50 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• My daughter does something which works really well for her. She has made an envelope for every bill that is due, including rent, etc. She figures out what the amount is she needs to hold out of each check in order to pay each bill and then places the cash in each envelope. When the bill is due, she pays it from her envelope. This way she never has to pay one thing all at once. It's a great system for her, so maybe I can pass it on to someone who it will also help.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:51 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• If money's really tight I say get a few jars, lable the jars for each of the neccecarry fixed expenses you have for the month (morgage, car payment, or whatever ) put the money you need for each in the jar than put in the safe till the bill is due. Next get jars lable them for the neccecary variable expenses (power bill, groceries, gas for car, and so on) guess what you think you'll need for those than put it in the jars. next get jars for the non neccecarry expenses ( cable, internet, entertanment) guess what you'll need for them than put that in the jars, if there's not enough than you'll have to cut back here, if there's extra, save it.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 8:57 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Plan out your meals.Learn how to stretch your dollar.Only buy the necessities.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Here are my best tips for saving at the grocery store: http://www.ehow.com/how_5223945_save-even-money-grocery-store.html

Send me a message offlist if you would like some budget recipes.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:39 AM on Sep. 4, 2009