When did you start to give your kids allowance?

My oldest is going to be 6 in Dec and I am thinking about starting an allowance with him. When did you start? How much did you start with? What was the allowance for (chores, etc)?

bhwrn1

Asked by bhwrn1 at 9:03 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My almost 4yr old and almost 5yr old are starting to earn an allowance. But it's not weekly. I have a list of chores that they help me with. There are only 2 things they do on their own. They clean their bedroom (which they DONT get an allowance for) and they clean the living room. Everything else they help me with. like dishes, and cleaning the kitchen, bathrooms. They also put away their clothes.

how it works for us is they do a chore and i put a sticker on their sticker chart. ...once they fill the line they get a dollar in their money jar. ...it's not a lot of money, but they only earn the money as they do their chores AND seeing as they are so little, there's not much that they really want/need to spend their money on anways.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 9:08 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• My dd's to young for an allowance yet but I think six would be fine, I suggest making them earn thier allowance though by doing chores, mabey make a list of chores, give a certain amount for each chore done, more for the harder ones less for easyier ones, but only pay if the child really tries to do them well. You can't expect a 6 year old to make a bed perfectly but as long as them try.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 9:16 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I give allowance but it's not linked to chores. I expect my kid to take care of his own business like keeping his room tidy and putting toys away plus he helps me with other stuff depending on what I'm doing that day. He's going to be 4 in a couple of weeks and we started on his third birthday. He gets $1 a week and he can spend or save it as he sees fit. To start with he didn't really get it but now he's thinking it through. When we first started he'd waste money like I'd say he couldn't have a donut at the store and he'd whip out his wallet and buy one himself. Once he figured out that that uses almost an entire weeks allowance he stopped doing that. He still buys frivolous things sometimes like a single Hot Wheel but the other month he bought an $8 with his savings which was quite impressive. He even uses coupons now; I help with the math but he'll say "let's go to Michaels, I have a coupon!"
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 9:51 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• My kids don't get chores for helping around the house. They are just expected to do it because they are part of the family. The only thing they have gotten paid for is picking up trash in the neighbors' yards after our annual block party. I had my 7yo son and 6yo daughter go up and down the street and pick up all the garbage they found. They each got $1 as did their friend that helped them.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:19 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I give my 8yr old $5.00 every two weeks and my older kids $10.00 every two weeks. My 4yr old gets a dollar. I use a sticker chart with chores listed. They have to do ALL chores for the day to get credit. But, I also dock the bigger ones a dollar, if they are missing a credit during the week, have bad behavior or do not complete homework. They don't get extra for behaving, but they will lose allowance money if they don't. They are also supposed to save half.
    officerjoeys

Answer by officerjoeys at 12:00 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I started an allowance with my kids when they were 6 and 7. It started out at $2/week. They got older and we added a couple chores - now it's $4/week, $2 that they get to keep, and $2 goes in their savings account. They clean and vacuum their own rooms and one other room of my choice; have one night/week where they set the table, sweep after we eat, wipe down the table, and take out the trash; they also clean the sink/mirror in their bathrooms; and they are just starting to do one load of laundry/week including folding.

Answer by missanc at 8:33 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I don't give an allowance, he is part of the family and therefore he doesn't get paid to do chores. If there is something he wants that i won't buy, the he can earn it by doing extra chores, etc. He is 13 yr old.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:57 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• We started like a month before my daughter's 4th bday. A dollar a week and we were pround cuz she spent the money on her lil sister instead of herself.
    Mom4Fish

Answer by Mom4Fish at 12:52 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• hi we started my little girls allowance when she was 5 yrs old. We do it off a help list. She has her norm. chores like making her bed, and picking up her toys. But on the help list she wipes the table off after we eat, she picks up the laundry in the bathroom after her sister and her bathe, and helps gather trash to take out on trash days. Also so long as she is good in school she gets her allowance. We do a easy system which is a dollar for each year ur child is. addie is now 6 so she gets 6 dollars each week. When she gets her money she saves 2 dollars donates 2 dollars and is able to spend 2 dollars. It teaches her importance of saving, joy of buying her own things, and joy of giving to others. It helps us and I hope it helps you also.
    Lovebugto2

Answer by Lovebugto2 at 12:31 AM on Sep. 18, 2009