"my dr stripped my membranes...YAY...

...and i'm 38 weeks today!!!"

ok, this is not me. but i've seen this A LOT lately. and i'm just wondering why dr's are doing this so early and why women are allowing it? well, let me rephrase that. why are women wanting this done?
just bc you're uncomfortable and ready to see baby doesn't make it right or good to have this or any other kind of induction done.
there's a reason why your baby isn't here yet, bc BABY is not ready. why not let baby come when s/he is ready? why put you and your baby at risk?
i can understand the TRUE reasons to be induced, and no, a "big baby" and being "overdue" are NOT true reasons.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:57 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I suppose some people don't respect the reason that their body goes through what it does ~and when.
    When we put our baby first, we honor that they're inside still for a reason.

There are a lot of articles, reports, studies... about the fact that OBs are not putting patients well-being first. Their priorities lie in legal concerns. So a specialist (surgeon) attending a normal-healthy birth will be more likely to intervene and "treat" the situation in a "doctorly" way.

"My doctor said it was okay": The women, and the women alone, must fully research everything they consent to. They alone are responsible for their choices, hopefully they're fully informed ones.

Unnecessary interventions are for convenience (of mom and/or doctor) --not the baby. It's upsetting because the fetus has no rights. (*If they had a say in it, they'd obviously choose to remain inside. That's why mom is still pregnant, lol.)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:36 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• My back hurt so bad and I was fainting. My Dr. stripped my membranes 3x when I was a little over 38 weeks. Stripping my membranes didn't work so she broke my water. My baby was 9lbs 3oz and was way overdue. Her skin had little bumps all over it and had a white film over it. So yes those are TRUE reasons to be induced.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 10:09 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I think everyone had a right to be induced for any reason if dr approves, they wouldn't do this (most of the time.) if it wasn't safe and who says those aren't good reasons? sorry not trying to be bitchy. Plus it's not always safe to go overdue either, for the health of the baby.
    babyluver

Answer by babyluver at 10:18 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Because my doctor gave me the option and I said what the hell. And I really didn't think about people like you who would give a rat's ass.

It didn't work anyway though, so I guess poo on me.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:19 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• i had my membranes stripped..BUT i didnt chooseto have this done..let meexpalin..i went for my non stress test and i was about 4 days overdue..my doctor said "let mecheck you to see if youve progressed since last visit" i said okay ya know thats normal procedure right?well she checked me but it took awhile and it hurt terribly! i dint think anything of it and left after the visit..well i went in to the hospital later that night and i was in labor and the doc that checked me earlier at the visit said "i thought id be seeing you tongiht" and i asked why and she said "because i stripped your membranes"..so i cant answer why doctors do it..
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 10:33 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• There is a lot new research urging that this sort of thing NOT be done for non medical reasons especially prior to 40 weeks because of the high incidence of pre-term babies being born.

Just because Naegle's rule says a person is 38 weeks, doesn't necessarily mean they are and it certainly doesn't mean that the baby is quite mature enough.

It makes me ill that doctors do this routinely either because they don't know better, don't keep up with the latest studies, or are too concerned with keeping their own private schedule. It makes me even more sick that stripping membranes is done without a woman's consent. That's wrong on so many levels. I don't even understand why it is considered "normal" to always have someone's hands up your vagina -- there is no need for it. There are other ways to assess a woman without violating her body that way.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:59 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Lol, I think it's me you're referring to, as I say yay a lot and I just turned 38 weeks. My doctor suggested it and I trust her. I have done lots of research on it, and I didn't go along with it for convenience. I DO want my body back but I wouldnt try and force him out of there. He will come when he will come. I had never planned on having them stripped, but it's ok with me. I think whatever a woman chooses is up to her, though. Pregnancy is a very personal thing. Parenting is as well.
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 11:15 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• We are trained from birth that Dr. knows best, they have all the answers. So when a Dr. says it's ok why should we not trust them? Women have forgotten/lost their intuition and their trust in their own bodies. Birth is now a crisis that must be managed and not a normal ,usually uncomplicated, process.

As women we need to start being accountable for our choices and making truly informed decisions. If we do nothing then our medical system will not change and we will keep our substandard model of care.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 12:19 AM on Sep. 4, 2009