How long will you let your kids stay at home?

well my oldest is only 3..so not really a problem for me...

But I was wondering...do you plan on letting your kids live with you after they are 18 / out of school ?

I think it is very odd that alot of moms say they they expect there kids to leave the nest after they are done with school.

I dont plan on doing that...I would let my kids live with me forever, if they wanted to.

Obviously I know the stories you hear about the 40 year old guy who lives with his mother...

And I do plan on helping my kids be successful...but I would never even think of having a time to where they would have to leave my house...

glamomomo

Asked by glamomomo at 10:07 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• They can live at home until it is not longer beneficial to their emotional well being and future. And that's saying a mouth full. My youngest it 19 and still lives at home - but he pays rent because he hasn't enrolled in college.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 10:12 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• If my kids are in college and working during the summer, maybe I will let them stay. But after that I don't think it's necessary for a able-body, sound minded, men and women older than 25 living with their parents. Especially if they are working. They should be able to take care of themselves by then. I understand there might be certain situations like maybe the parents need help, or if they get laid off from a job and need help to get back on their feet, ok. But other than that, you have to cut the umbilcal at some point.
    officerjoeys

Answer by officerjoeys at 10:15 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Well, I'm still deciding. I have 3 sons who are 25, 22, and 14. Obviously, the 14 yo has at least a couple of years. My 25 yo left home at 18 and joined the Coast Guard. My 22 yo left home at 20 to go and be his own man. Well, they are all back. The Coastie did his 4 years, got a divorce, and moved back to "start over". The 22 yo got caught in the economy down-sizing and lost his job. He moved home to "start over". The 14 yo is a freshman who is starting high school. We will the older guys regroup, dust them off, prop them up and send them out again. I don't want them living here when there is such a big world to go see and explore. Go, have a life. Call me often. I take a lot of joy knowing they are so confident that they aren't afraid to go out there and just try things.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:18 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• my parents rule was that when we were out of college and not married, we could live with them, but HAD to pay rent if we were not attending school of some sort. they required we have a job too. my dh an i plan on doing the same thing with our kids. i see families in my parents neighborhood who have had to take out second mortgages on their homes to build additions onto their homes because their kids got married, moved back in had kids etc and REFUSED to move out. not happening here. if they are in college, they are more than welcome to stay at home. if they choose not to go, then they will have a job, even if it is part time, and they WILL pay rent.
    ArmyWifeMomof3

Answer by ArmyWifeMomof3 at 10:29 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• So far, Kitten moved out when she got married at 18 and Pumpkin moved when she got married at 20. Kitten moved back in for three months with Snoots when she was 21 and got wise to his lies. When Pumpkin was going to college ( in town) my hubby decided it would be a good experience for her to live on campus because he missed out on so much when he lived at home.

Pumpkins, then BF since the beginning of her Sr. year, and now DH, lost his apartment so for the last half of her first year we had a male child living with us. it was funny cuz unlike girls, guys do NOT talk all the time and there is never that time of the month (until age 55 for men). We never heard from him and every once in a while he would emerge to go to work or get some coffee. It was weird but kind of nice. BTW- next year is their 10th anniversary andw hen they visit he still hermits himself in the bedroom

mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 10:39 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• My kids can live with me as long as they need to, if they are in college (they better be) they can live home for free, if not, we need rent
    M parents kept me for a long time with my son too, then my husband. I owe my kids what my parents gave me. if it wasnt for them, I dont know where I'd be
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 10:59 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Snoots is grandson liar is ex-SIL Kitten has since remarried to a sweetie pie
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 11:03 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Well, I grew up in a family where it was expected to stay in your parents' home till marriage. I was strange in that I moved out BEFORE! **grin**

But my son can stay as long as he wants to.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:54 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Out the door at 18---unless I can get them emancipated earlier! (Unless they shape up and obey!) lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:57 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• If she is in college she can stay at home for as long as she attends. If she is not in school of some sort, she has to pay rent(ie get a job! LOL) No free loading here! Welcome to reality hunny, now get an education or get a job, Mommy and Daddy are footing the bill anymore!
    mama4Christ361

Answer by mama4Christ361 at 11:17 AM on Sep. 4, 2009