What is a appropriate age for a a young girl to start shaving her legs?

My daughter is 11 and has a lot of hair on her legs. She wants to start shaving, but I kind of think she is a little young yet. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

rissasmommie410

Asked by rissasmommie410 at 10:14 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I think I started around then. I know by the time I was in 7th grade I did....would have to ask my parents. LOL
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:16 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I started right before my 11th birthday..I remember asking my mom. And wearing a skirt on my 11th b day with shaved legs lol. I think its fine.
    meghan925

Answer by meghan925 at 10:21 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I started shaving on my 13th birthday. I remember because my parents made a big deal of it. I was given makeup for the first time and was allowed to wear it for the first time as well. I started my period the next week. Coming of age so to speak. I don't think that girls should start until 12 or 13. Of course, I have boys. No girls. But I am the oldest of five kids...three girls and 2 boys.
    SterlingLegend

Answer by SterlingLegend at 10:35 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• i started shaving when i got my period, my mom said it meant that i was becoming a woman, so i could start learning to do womanly things. i was 11.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 10:55 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• LOL! It is so funny how often this question comes up! I know on thing I will be prepared when my DD hit this age! I was in 4rd grade so about 10. I will allow my DD to shave up to the knee when she is 10 or so if she ask to. She will be allowed to shave past the knee at 15 if she wants to.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:03 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• if the hair is noticable, then she should start shaving, if it is not noticable, then she doesn't need to wory about it yet, but you should still start showing her how to do so with out slicing herself to ribbions
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 12:01 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I started at 12. I don't see a problem with it around 11 though and she's embarrassed by it.
    officerjoeys

Answer by officerjoeys at 12:07 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• If she wants to let her. I was about that age when i started and almost all of my classmates did too. There are worse things she could be wanting to do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Let her do it!

I regret not letting my oldest daughter shave at about that age. To me she seemed so young but the fuzz on her legs made her a target for horrible, horrible torment. Sad but true. Kids have a lot of BS to deal with. This  would have been an easy fix for us even though, in my daughter's case, the teasing kids were in the wrong. And behaving badly.  Still, she would have liked to have been spared the embarrassment.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Well I was about 13 bcuz my mom wouldnt let me...but with my daughter I am gonna let her when she reaches the 6th grade...she will be 11 then. its just bcuz that is when everybody starts worring about fashion and stuff and I just remember being embarrassed bcuz my legs were so hairy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Sep. 4, 2009