Is it ok to give 1 formula bottle a day and the rest breastmilk?

My son is almost 4 months old. I just went back to work, but have only 2 bags of breast milk pumped. I just cant seem to pump a lot :( Is it going to hurt him to have a bottle of formula 1x a day...a few days a week? Its not daily, and its not all day. I just dont want to confuse his little belly and cause problems.
My other HUGE problem is him not taking a bottle!!! OMG, its so heart-breaking. He just stares at me with these eyes like "WTF is this, mom?" haha I did notice that he prefers the pre-made formula over the powder mix. Of course, that is more expensive and once i open a jug of pre-made, it has to be used with 72 hours...i end up wasting so much since he gets maybe 1 a day. Any advice??

momof2gs

Asked by momof2gs at 10:16 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had to supplement while BF. It will not hurt him. I mixed breast milk with formula, cause I didn't make enough milk. I also tried numerous nipples and bottles. And found the best one was Dr Browns nipples and bottles....try one I swear they are amazing!!!!
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:19 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• well how long are you at work for? if you feed him form your breast before work multiple times to fill his belly up then he should be fine for a couple of hours...so it depends on how long youre at work..also give him anything you pump!! and also try different nipples on the bottle..they have breastflow nipples that are just like drinking from the breast(same flow) so he wontstart to prefer the bottle over breast.some babies get used to the flow of a bottle and dont want to work to get milk when hes put to breast. but just keep trying to pump..to answer your question..it might confuse his tummy and give him a belly ache:( it might..but its not *terrible*to give a bottle of formula. jsut try to help yourslef express your milk by pressing your breast while pumping..good luck
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 10:22 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Parenting is all about what ever you decide to do.......
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• call up the formula company you are going to use and tell them youd like some samples... they'll send you a TON of free stuff...I bf exclusively but I donated my free stuff to the food pantry..
    also try renting a hospital grade breast pump you might get more milk expressed with one of those ... ok last suggestion while you are nursing at home pump the other...so if DS is on the right simutaneously pump the left allowing baby extended time on the right
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:50 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• No he will be ABSOLUTELY fine! the formula is made well these days. I recommenf the standard Enfamil Lipil with Iron (powder form is the best buy)... its the formula babies should have. As far as him not taking a bottle. Get the First Years Breastflow bottles.. the nipple is designed like the breast so as not to confuse babies going from breast to bottle... My daughter takes both breast and bottle without a bottle.
    Steph786

Answer by Steph786 at 11:11 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• It will be fine and you can also get the individual bottles in either 2 or 8 oz from similac that is premade...that way you don't have to throw it out...if it's only one bottle a day that's 5 a work week, so it would cost about 10 bucks a week...a lot cheaper than the other...good luck. I supplemented when my supply dropped. after my daughter stopped nursing during the day. At least he's getting some of the good stuff :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:36 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Yes, you can.

Let someone ELSE give the bottle when you're not there. Nothing but breast from you. Breastfed babies often refuse bottles from mom.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:38 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• What kind of pump do you have? Are you pumping on a 24 hour schedule or just at work? How much does he get each bottle? How long are your shifts?
    All these are important to know. You really do need a good double electric pump if at all possible. I would suggest you should come up with a good pumping schedule to help you get the desired amount of milk, this means around the clock not just at work, of course that's if you don't already. Many moms think they need much more milk than they do. If you take your baby's weight and times it by 2.5 that will give you how many ounces a day your baby needs. Then divide that by how many feedings your baby usually has in a 24 hour period and then add a little bit and that's how much your baby needs at a feeding. Feeding your baby right before and as soon as you get home is really helpful too. As gdiamante said you should avoid being the one offering the bottle.
    Daynaof3

Answer by Daynaof3 at 1:11 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• All breastmilk is ideal, but if not possible then formula will not hurt him. As for taking the bottle have someone else do it is the best way to get them to accept the bottle. Each child is different for what bottle they prefer, but your best bet is to have someone else give it.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:56 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Breastmilk and formula are OK to mix. If you want to keep your supply up, try pumping after he nurses and when you miss the feed so you can slowly stock up.

Try to use the powered again, but play around with the temperature of the water. Or mix it then let it sit for a bit so all of the air bubbles go away. That might help him.

Try to have someone else bottle feed him. He'll be confuses and less likily to take the bottle from you as all he's ever known is breast from you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Sep. 4, 2009