Need advise on teacher, very mad @ her.

So my 2nd grader tells me that when kids in her class don't understand something and ask ther teacher to explain it again her repli is "Idk what you don't understand about this" and when they go up to her desk to ask questions, she tells them "bye bye BYE" and shoos them away. My dd never knows how to do her homework. BUT if I explain it to her 1x she gets it and can do it completely on her own. So obviously the teacher isn't teacher her. If one kid in the class talks out of turn, the whole class misses recess. So yesterday I guess someone was 'bad' and the whole class missed recess for the whole day! Of course, w/out burning any energy all day, my dd had trouble getting to sleep. So I wrote a note to teh teacher and told her to please not make my dd sit or stand for her whole recess, if she feels she deserves to miss recess, make her do laps or something to burn energy. She wrote back that my dd told her the TV was to

4monkees

Asked by 4monkees at 10:17 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• OP here continued----loud and that is why she couldn't sleep. She also told my dd that that was her rules and she was going to have to follow them while she is in her class. WTF!!!!!!! I am not saying don't punish her, I just asked you make her burn some energy!!! I am so pissed at her. So my questions is what would you do? I really want to go to the principal and tell her all of this. I'm worried that the teacher will be mean to dd if i do.
    Oh and my dd has never had a personal problem w/ the teacher (or anyone else), she likes her, but everyday she comes home and tells me something else the lady does. Oh I forgot to mention she gets in kids faces and yells @ then in front of the class too.
    4monkees

Answer by 4monkees at 10:21 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• go to the principal. do you know any other parents to get info to confirm this and go in as a team?
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:23 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Take the note from the teacher and go to the principal. Explain what is happening and that you are not happy and it is not a good way to teach 2nd graders. My son's 1st grade teacher wouldn't explain things more than 1 time, she felt that they kids should all understand if she explained it one time. She had many complaints that year and was removed as a 1st grade teacher and is now teaching 4th grade and doing an amazing job. Some people just aren't meant to teach younger kids. Good luck.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:24 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• i would go to the school if it dont stop soon. i had to do that for my son
    lovingmommie431

Answer by lovingmommie431 at 10:25 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Just the kind of teacher we want teaching young children. *sigh* Complain to the principal, and good luck.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:26 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• She gets in their faces and yells at them in front of everyone? Nope....I wouldn't stand for that. That is abusive behavior. I think you need to get in touch with other students parents. Or perhaps go and have a day where you sit in on the class. My son's school ENCOURAGES parents sitting in on classes. If you go in one day unannounced (if allowed at your dd's school) you might send the message that "this is not cool". Granted, if the visit is prearranged, Ms. Manic Teacher has fair warning to mind her p's and q's. Long story short though, to me, it doesn't sound to me like the teacher is TEACHING. Certainly not very well. I wish you the best of luck in this.
    SterlingLegend

Answer by SterlingLegend at 10:27 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• i agree with SterlingLegend as well, that teacher is friggin out of her gourd!
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 10:33 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• As a parent you are your child's best advocate. What you are describing isn't conducive for learning so I would definitively make an appointment with the principal and discuss your concerns.

I would approach it as a concern and you wanting his expertise and input in how to positively work things out so that your child can foster a long love for learning.

As far as the teacher goes, keep her on her toes, drop off unannounced and be a fly in the wall, don't interfere or distract the class but make a point to make your presence known. I am sure she is a good teacher she could just be burn out, kids that age are hand full so be considered and approach things as a team. Parents and teachers working together for the betterment of the children learning experience.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 10:36 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• YOu should have talked to the Principle in the 1st place and not have written a note. Or at least called the Teacher or talked to her in person. A note is not a good idea, are you in the 2nd grade too?!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Id go straight to the boss....why mess with someone who obviously has no idea how to teach in the first place. she doesnt know what she is doing wrong if shes doing it and probably should not be in a position with younger children. teachers should love children, end of story. its easy to tell if they dont and just needed to get a degree in something. at this rate you can homeschool better than this lady is doing, and punishing an entire class for what one child does will most likely create children ganging up on a child who spoke out or ruined it for teh rest of the class. im sure the principle could do some drop ins and see whats going on without making it known that its you...or like someone else said its best to go in as a group so try to talk to some other moms and see if their children have reported the same. you will have a better case and noone can say your just overprotective.
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 11:12 PM on Sep. 3, 2009