Cardiologists Crying Foul Over Obama Medicare Cuts ???

The cuts could have the unintended consequence of rationing care, especially in rural regions with a large number of Medicare patients, doctors said. In other areas, specialists may decide to pull out of Medicare, or ask patients to make up the difference with higher out-of-pocket payments, said Alfred Bove, president of the American College of Cardiology.
“A fair number of cardiologists are looking at the accounting and saying ‘we can’t afford it,’” Bove said in a telephone interview.
Some oncologists in rural areas may stop offering chemotherapy in the office, forcing patients to travel to more- distant hospitals, said Allen S. Lichter, 63, CEO of the 27,000- member American Society of Clinical Oncology in Alexandria, Virginia.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601070&sid=apv3pcTOWVjk

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 10:20 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• How many people are currently under Medicare? Does anyone know? =/
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 10:27 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• wait until government run health care starts for all of us then it is going to get really bad.. and where I live MANY Md's already stopped taking medicare when after years they've never gotten a raise... what makes everyone thing that Dr's and nurse should go to school for soo long then earn an average salary?....
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:29 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• the bottom line is, that there are way too many sick ppl and even more selfish health care providers! The problem is not President Obama's spending or refining, its the providers who decide that getting paid is worth more than helping/saving lives. I would know this b/c I've worked with numerous doctors and dentist. I've seen patients who needed serious help get turned away b/c they didn't have enough money/no insurance. Yet the office business was banging with new patients and making more than enough. ( I did the production goals and budgeting!) And that is the real problem with America's health care.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 10:33 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Wow, maybe that's why you were able to keep a job, you know, because of the paying customer. You would have difficulty finding someone that disagrees that we need health care reform. Many of us just don't want government in the final product of said reform.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

Last number I have seen, 45,301,837

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:46 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Okay, I figured... so 45+ million that will be at a DISADVANTAGED if Obamacare happens, versus roughly 10 million who would be at an ADVANTAGE.. Uh wheres the logic here?
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 10:50 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Do you ever get the feeling these cuts are happening to get the medicare people to want to switch to Obamacare?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• "Do you ever get the feeling these cuts are happening to get the medicare people to want to switch to Obamacare?"

Oh, NO doubt!
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 11:22 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Malpractice is SO high, docs need to charge enough to cover it. That is a part of the problem too. I have a doc that just quit, said enough. Thankfully her husband makes money.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:44 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• None of us will have any choice but to have Ocare, everyone else will be out of business, just like GE is very successful now, in our local Wal-Mart, they only have GE light bulbs, no other co; I thought that was odd. I saw a commercial today saying "was GE becoming the new ENRON?"

Our choices are dwindling more every day...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 11:45 PM on Sep. 3, 2009