Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Signing over parental right? HELP ME, ASAP!

Good evening, ladies!
To make a long story short, my sister is coming to live with me. We're driving from GA to PA over the long weekend to pick her up. I'll be enrolling her in school here next week. (she's 16) I have almost everything figured out, but here's my question- Does my mom need to sign some papers or something, to give me temporary parental rights? I'm sure that needs to happen... Where do I get info?


Asked by mama_moonsong at 10:37 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

Level 7 (199 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (9)
  • She should sign a document called "In loco parentis". It is essentially a power of attorney for you to care for your sister. You will have to have it notarized of course. You might be able to find a form online...but make sure you sign it in front of a notary public or paralegal.

    Answer by SterlingLegend at 10:40 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

  • PS- (OP here) - If you can't tell from just reading that- this was a very LAST MINUTE thing. Just decided today. Its a small emergency. So if i seem disorganized, that's why.

    Answer by mama_moonsong at 10:38 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

  • Can you call a lawyer just to ask that? Or ask where to get that clue but you will need some kind of documentations absolutely.

    Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:42 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

  • It seems like the school district where you are enrolling her could provide you with helpful information.

    Good Luck

    Answer by Julie411me at 10:51 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

  • Talk to your mom about temporary guardianship or in loco parentis


    Answer by Aniyunwiya at 11:02 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

  • Power of Attorney With Consent for Medical Care And Parental Disipline

    Answer by bi-polarmommy at 11:20 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

  • i can e-mail you a fill-in-the-blank form if you like, just PM me

    Answer by bi-polarmommy at 11:20 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

  • You should talk to an attorney in BOTH states. Laws may be different in each.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:02 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

  • You will definately need something to get her medical care and signing consent forms.

    Answer by pnwmom at 3:53 PM on Sep. 4, 2009