Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

has anyone that is puerto rican (or other US common wealth)ever had issues with using birth cirtificate for employment

My hubby's job has been bought out, in transfering to a new payroll they have requested 2 forms of id. he provided a DL and Puerto Rican birth cert. HR says he will need further documentation to work in the us. uh hello do theynot know Pr is a US common wealth? he needs to supply his s.s card by sept 18 in order to still be employed by the company. he will have to take time off this week to go to the s.s office to get it (our 2 dd got in his wallet and now we cant find it, which is why he gave his bc). i am just a little shocked. i have never had this problem and never has he.

Answer Question

Asked by mariscilla at 10:42 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (3)
  • If you read the I-9 form (certification of proof of employment), it lists the approved forms of identification. You can provide a US passport; you can provide driver's license AND a social security card OR a birth certificate. It is possible that the HR person has not actually read the form


    Answer by rkoloms at 6:25 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

  • i tried the link but it said it was damaged but thank you i feel like this person is not informed or completely educated on their job.

    Answer by mariscilla at 9:21 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

  • Doesn't it take a couple weeks before a SS card comes back? Either way, the HR person is wrong otherwise everyone from Puerto Rico would be trying to get proof like this. I think he needs to talk to someone else.

    Answer by bugsmom06 at 10:39 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.