4 Cm Dailated....

I went to my Dr this morning at 9:30am and she said I was already 4cm dailated... so.. she sent me home and told me come back when I feel them every 5 mins or when my water breaks, is there any other signs I should be looking for? She also said people start asking for meds at 4 cm, and I dont feel anything....

Mamalab07

Asked by Mamalab07 at 10:43 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Great! You're already that much farther along! :-)

You don't need to know your dilation, it doesn't help to have that info, obviously. When labor becomes more & more intense you'll start to pay attention.

Some women never feel any pain, consider yourself lucky to have gotten this far! ;-)

Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:50 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• You can watch for contractions that become more intense (and more frequent) over time, your mucous plug, etc. But even if your water breaks it might not be labor yet. Many things may/may not happen. Watch, wait and see...

Don't worry, it will be time eventually.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:52 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• oh, and my due date is September 27. When do you think I will actually go into labor?
    Mamalab07

Answer by Mamalab07 at 10:53 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• You could go into labor tonight, have the baby in your arms before morning.
    Or it could be 3 more weeks. (Seriously.) :-/

There is no way to know when you'll go into labor by knowing what the cervix at any given moment. They are kind of pointless, lol. Worse than pointless because moms don't know what to do with the information~ are usually confused /have expectations... It can lead to disappointment & break confidence.
    To have a good birth experience, moms need to be confident!
    :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:06 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• With my first baby, I was 6cm when I finally started having a few cramps & my water broke. Left for the hospital which was just down the street. was 8cm when I got there at 8PM. Had my baby at 8:40PM with nothing more than a few cramps. Some women are just lucky that way. Sounds like you'll probably go anytime now! Best wishes! (PS. September 26th is a nice date... it's my B-day!!)
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 11:09 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Right now hes kickking like crazy! and i just ate a big dinner... im soooo nervous! but im excited, i want to meet him now !!! (Blake Jacob Nelson) hurry!!! hehehe.. but dont cause me too much pain!!
    Mamalab07

Answer by Mamalab07 at 11:14 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• :-D
    Exciting!
    Well... whenever it does happen... (tips here!) try not to worry about the pain/no pain. Think of it as intensity-- a strong force that surges through you. A very positive intensity, it has a reason it's there, a good reason. Not like pain from getting hurt/illness.
    With your attitude you can alter how you perceive it... you can reduce the pain (if it ever shows up).

Stay strong and confident and know that your body will do exactly as it's supposed to. You can just be patient and "sit back" and watch the show. (Which really requires concentration, usually... But it IS do-able!)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:22 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• The world's most famous midwife, Ina May Gaskin says, about contractions:
    "Don't think of them as pain, think of them as an intensity that requires all of your attention."
    I guess that is basically what I was trying to sum up above, lol!
    ;-P
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:24 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I had NO contraction and dilated to 5 but still wasnt in labor! So being at 4cm doesnt mean it is going to happen tonight:( You still have a few days til you are 37 weeks (full term) so hopefully he hangs in there for a few more days at least
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 12:29 AM on Sep. 4, 2009