Booster Seats

My friend has a daughter that is 4 months younger than my daughter (who will be three in November). She's letting her DD ride in a booster seat using the shoulder belt and she only weighs about 25 pounds. This girl isn't the type person that will research car seats and stuff like that, but I really want to tell her that her DD isn't big enough for that yet. I mean, my daughter is almost 40 pounds and she's not riding in one for a VERY long time still. I don't wanna make her mad, but I also think it's important for her to know.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:53 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• Do you have her e-mail address? Maybe you could say hey someone forwarded me this info on child safety seat regulations, I found it interesting...thought maybe you would too. My son turned 4 on the 24th of Aug. He is now about 35 pounds and we just put him in one. Safety before hurt feelings when it comes to kids. If you mention or mail her something, at least you can say you tried.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:31 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I would definitely mention it. I would just say, "I know she's your daughter, but I just wanted to give you a heads up, she's really too small for that seat. If you're pulled over, you'll get a ticket because she really needs to be 4 years and 40 pounds to ride in a booster seat." Something like that.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 10:59 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I agree with Tori.

You can show her this video too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2LFo8vVi04

milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 11:48 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 11:51 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I would tell her the same thing about the tickets and show her it's not safe. Her daughter needs to be in a four point harness.
    officerjoeys

Answer by officerjoeys at 11:55 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I would go from a legal point of view, not a moral one. People are less likely to get offended if they think you are helping them, and coming at it from a moral standpoint often comes across as judgmental.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:25 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• If her daughter is 30lbs, she can technically be in a booster (at least that's the minimum on the one for my 3 year old). If she's only 25, then no she shouldn't be in a booster. Is she in a backless booster or a belt positioning booster?

The law is NOT 4 and 40 for a booster in all states. Ours is "child restraint" which includes boosters until age 8. (so be sure of your state laws if you're going at it from that aspect)

Do not show her youtube videos. Youtube is not a reliable source of information. Someone shows me that crap and I just laugh in their face.

Personally, I don't think a 2 1/2 year old should be in a booster. Mine isn't. But at least she's buckling her in.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:35 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I would mention it as a question. Oh, I see your daughter is in a booster. But I thought that wasn't until they are older.

That way you put the idea into her head. You can't force her and yelling at her won't help. So, just give hints.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Sep. 4, 2009