whats a good way to punish your kid?

my child is 1 and i wanna do things rite bc its my first child.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• for me time out I talk to my sons and let them know why they are getting time out and what i want from them ( to sit quietly until I tell them its ok to move) aftet time out is over I tell them I dont want them to do what ever it is they did again or they will get time out again its worked for me god luck
    RandJsmommy0406

Answer by RandJsmommy0406 at 10:58 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• For a one year old, I don't know. That young, I always just redirected their attention to something else. Shortly after one year though, we started doing time outs. My kids will immediately stop what they're doing usually with even the mention of a time out. They really hate it. We have spanked but I really don't think it does any good, unless you want to instill fear in your children (not saying that to down spankers). I sometimes wish I could get the "fear" into my kids, but I also don't want them to ever think it's ok to hit anyone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I have a 13 month old son. I just use a lot of redirection and distractions. Children this age don't have the ability to know right from wrong or sit on time outs.
    officerjoeys

Answer by officerjoeys at 11:44 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• i have absolutely no problem spanking my son, hes almost 3, and he knows darn well when enough is enough, but when he pushes me and pushes me, he knows he'll get it. I was spanked growing up, i never ever thought it was ok to hit anyone. I believe if you dont instill fear into your child, then eventually theyre gonna walk all over you. Theres a difference between spanking and beating... And a spanking to me, is spanking him one time, just to put him in his place. and also picking your battles is important to. Every kid is different, but i know with my son, a little smack on the wrist or time outs does NOTHING.
    HaviksMum

Answer by HaviksMum at 12:13 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• i agree with haviksmum! every kid is different and may not need as much discipline. and i know my son is a wild child BUT he knows when enough is enough, because i spank him if he doesnt listen. and this isn't very often. if i ask him to do something and he doesn't listen a few times after asking him, i get up quickly and walk over to him and he does what i ask him to. i haven't had to spank my son in a couple weeks actually. it's very effective.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:32 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• With my son, who is 18 months old, it just depends on what's going on. We try 'no' a couple of times, then we'll do a time out. Sometimes we'll spank, but that's a last resort. And we NEVER spank for hitting.
    ke11yturtle

Answer by ke11yturtle at 7:20 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• i like what what kellyturtle said about not spanking for hitting.
    HaviksMum

Answer by HaviksMum at 8:01 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• A time out is a time out, which means no fun for a while. Just a short one can make a big difference, especially if your kid knows that he or she did something wrong. Learning curves are one thing, but when they repeatedly do something wrong after being warned, that warrants a time out. One minute is long enough, and state why they are getting the time out. Always end with a hug, too, so that they are reassured. Time outs might not make any difference for a few months, so beware. It takes a while for kids to figure out what they mean.
    veggie_kitty

Answer by veggie_kitty at 11:55 PM on Sep. 4, 2009