A question for teen moms. (no bashing)

why do you think the teen pregnancy rate has gone up? what do you think is the main reasoning for this increase? (no bashing! Seriously)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:01 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• I honestly don't know, around where I live I know a few girls that are around the ages of 14 15 16 that think its cool but this is a question that everybody can answer not just teen moms. I'd like to hear what others think the reason is. I was 15 when I got pregnant and I had plenty of sex education and talks but it was my choice to have sex and i got pregnant.
    meghan925

Answer by meghan925 at 11:06 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• actually it's decreasing now..
    but I personally think the reason for the teen pregnancy is the lack of knowledge their parents taught them.
    my mother never told me the 'birds and the bees' talk, and I ignored the school.. started having sex at 15 years old. but I'm 20 now with my first baby. [glad I had some sense to use condoms then... now it's just plain stupidity not to use condoms but I'm owning up to my responsibility and so is my SO and he just turned 19]
    kittenripmaygo

Answer by kittenripmaygo at 11:04 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• honestly i think everything like music,tv,movies glamorizes sex and teen parenting like shows and movies that feature teen pregnancy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Because sex isn't a big deal anymore.
    I didn't just sleep around but when I found a guy I really liked we had sex, he was my first, we are still together, and have a super cute 1 yr old baby boy.
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 11:06 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• just one aspect i want to comment on is the content of almost every show....esp shows that are supposed to be aimed towards children like the secret life....that show is awful and does not try hard enough to deglamorize teen pregnancy. honestly i think teens are just out of control these days. I see it even more than when i was younger. .. we were bad but i have teenage family members that i worry about bc the peer pressure is now just awful and kids know just about everything that they shouldnt.
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 11:07 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I honestly think that kids these days are not being raised the way they use to. Not to many of tweens and teen I know or even smaller kids say, PLEASE,THANK YOU, NO-THANK YOU. EXCUSE ME, BLESS YOU, YOUR WELCOME. There not being taught to respect their elders or parents at that. You have elementary kids acting like their in middle school and middle school acting like their in high school and high school kids acting like their grown ass adults but they don't have the experiences and smarts as most mature adults. It's very sad. This isn't all youth,but most I come across these days. Parents are pretty easy going- go with the flo kind of parents instead of structure and rules they have them their just not consistent.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• >OP< I was just curious about the teen mom's perspective. Seems they would know best...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Teen pregnancy actually is as high as people think so. I took a socially class where we studied all about it. Teen pregnancies have always happened, people just didn't know about them, people kept it quite. Society is more open and excepting of things like this. In the 50's the average age to have children was around 20. It has always happened, and mostly likely always will. We actually made a line graph, the line never really jumped all over through out the decades. Actually the 1980's was worse then today.
    ashjacks4

Answer by ashjacks4 at 11:17 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I think the problem is that so many teens think that it is so glamorous and it really isn't all that glamorous once reality sets in and you are unprepared.

BriHan06

Answer by BriHan06 at 11:17 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I think it's because of shows like "Life on an American Teen" or whatever the title is, and Maury Povich, that glorify teen pregnancy. All teenage girls see is that they'll get money to help with the babies. They don't realize all of the hard work and maturity it takes to be a mom. They see all the gifts they'll get at baby showers, and they see all the cute baby clothes at the Gap, etc, but they have no clue what it's like to be responsible for a little life 24/7. The life they knew before pregnancy is completely OVER. No more carefree living.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 PM on Sep. 3, 2009