what to do when your four year old keeps lying about everything?

So my daughters step mom calls me today, and says my daughter keeps lying about everything. They will watch her do something and then she will turn around and say she didnt do it. She asked me what i thought she should do. I honestly dont know! Any suggestions?

MacNAydensMama

Asked by MacNAydensMama at 11:25 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Well I would just try to explain to her what a lie is and why people shouldn't lie, maybe read that story little boy blue?
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 11:33 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Wait thats wrong whats that book about the boy that lies about a wolf.....well that one
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 11:34 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• kids do this at this age, you just need to keep telling them what a lie is and telling them it is bad
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 11:35 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• It might help, also, if she does NOT get in trouble or gets in LESS trouble if she tells the truth. If it's something small let it go "Thank you for telling me the truth. And i know you know that's not okay" or whatever. If it's a big thing "Well, if you would have not told me the truth you would have not gotten (fill in favorite activity here) but because you told me the truth, we can still (favorite activity) but because you made a bad choice you wont get (fill in desired, but not favorite, activity here).

does that make any sense at all? lol. i hope so. i'm not trying to confuse anyone.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:41 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• After the first time my children told a lie we told them the story of The Boy Who Cried Wolf. At the end of the story we discussed it's meaning. We also let the children decide what the punishment for lying in our house should be.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 11:43 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I got nothin. I tried everything in the book. People just lie. I betcha a huge %-age of adults and children lie or stretch the truth on a regular basis.

Not me, of course. ;)
    Julie411me

Answer by Julie411me at 12:53 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• It really isn't lying that she is doing, well it is but she doesn't know that. It is more that she is telling stories. At 4, most kids don't know what lying is. I would just keep talking to her about how no one will believe her when something happens and she won't have many friends if she keeps lying.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:52 AM on Sep. 4, 2009