Bad first day.. Good rest of the year?

My 4 year old started preschool Wednesday he went all day (8-2:45) well when I got there to pick him up his teacher tells me they had a bad day today and my son just would not listen. Which is unlike him he usually listens well to others. So of course I lay my head in shame and think "omg! wth to do?" so we had a long talk when we got home and I explained everything that I expected of him at school and told him that if he didn't listen they would not let him stay in school.

He didn't have school today because they did a split start half started Weds and half started Thurs. but they all go back tomorrow. I am terrified to the point I am considering not even sending him. I just don't know what to do. It's embarrassing when he goes in and doesn't listen and makes the teachers look at me like" do you not ever make him mind when he's at home?"

Cont'd....

KalebsMommee

Asked by KalebsMommee at 12:06 AM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Has anyone ever experienced this when their kid started preschool?

He's never been at a daycare and the only time he has ever stayed off at a babysitters it has been my SIL watching him or my good friend. So he doesn't have much experience with the routine of school. Is it possible it may just take some time for him to get used to the routine or is this what I need to expect for the next year?
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 12:07 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Give it a little bit of time. He has to get used to the teacher and a new routine. Dont sweat it.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 12:14 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I have taught preschool for 20 plus years. I can't imagine a teacher not realizing that a 4 year old who has never been in preschool or at a sitters would be perfect the first day of school. If she doesn't know that then she doesn't know much about children and their development or typical behavior. Even if he did have a hard time listening, that doesn't mean that he won't adjust to the new experience and be the best in the class soon. Make sure that he understands what the expectations are for his behavior. Don't just say that he should be "Good" Kids don't know what that means. If he is not sure and you are not either, then ask the teacher tomorrow or have her explain them to your son while you are present to her them also. Make sure that other parents and kids are not around. Maybe go to school early so you can catch her before everyone gets there. Find out how long the kids are expected to sit at one time,
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 12:17 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• (continued) how much time do they spend sitting and listening compared with hands on, fun activities, that are child directed? If he is having to spend to much time doing worksheets or just listening to the teacher talking, worksheets, sitting for long periods, etc. maybe that particular preschool program is not the right one for your son. I would give him a few more days to adjust before I pull him out unless you see or hear of things that you don't like about the program.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 12:21 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Give him time. It can take a child 2 weeks or more to get used to the routine of preschool. Keep sending him to school and let him get used to it. IF there is a problem, the teachers will take care of it or let you know that he isn't ready for preschool. I know, I am a preschool teacher and a parent.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:49 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• it takes time.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:35 PM on Sep. 4, 2009