Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you tell without a diagnosis if someone is Bi-polar?

My husband goes from happy go lucky man who has all the greatest plans in the world and all the energy to do it with to a man with no energy and seemingly no future at the drop of a hat. It's driving me nuts and for all I know it maybe doing the same to him but he insist there is nothing wrong. From everything I;ve read and researched he seems to be "manic-depressant" otherwise referred to as bi-polar anyone else dealing with a similar situation, how do I get him the help he refuses to see he needs?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Health

Answers (7)
  • Manic-depressive is not the same as bi-polar disorder. Manic depressives usually never have "highs" they have normal and lows. Bi-polar disorder is categorized by extreme highs and extreme lows. The highs are called "mania". When they go through this they have extreme energy, they may not sleep very well, have tons of ideas and are usually very impulsive. The lows are so extreme that they may become suicidal. The first step in getting help is acknowledgement. Until he acknowledges that he has a problem, you can help him. I would suggest you start going to a therapist and set the example for him. Maybe he might tag along and the therapist can then help him. Make it seem like it's his idea. Men love that.


    Answer by legalmommy101 at 12:47 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

  • My dad was diagnosed bi-polar finally in his fifties. But it took his entire life to admit he had a mental health issue before he went to a doctor. It's not easy to convince someone they should see a psychiatrist because most people with mental health issues are in denial. I would get information on the internet about bi-polar disorder from a good source ( I think there is one called the American Mental Health Institute). Then have your husband read the information. He doesn't have to have every symptom they list to have bi-polar though. Just having the extreme mood swings you mentioned would be enough for any psychiatrist to make a diagnosis. But if he won't admit he has this issue, it's going to be difficult to get him the help he needs.

    Answer by chocaholic888 at 12:52 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

  • Manic depression is the old name for bipolar disorder. It does need to be professionally diagnosed.

    Answer by gdiamante at 12:53 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

  • OP you are right about manic depression and bi-polar being the same illness its just more commonly referred to as bi-polar. When you research information about this you will notice the two terms are interchangeable and a manic phase is described as being extremely "high" or irritable.

    Answer by chocaholic888 at 12:59 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

  • Also notice the difference between Bi-polar 1 and Bi-polar 2 About Bi-polar


    Answer by legalmommy101 at 1:10 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

  • My sister has this...she used to be either laughing her ass off or crying her eyes out...all the Dr's will do is prescribe meds...drugs do more harm than good in my opinion. Try researching alternative remedies...there is this herbal mix my Sister likes called 'Happy Camper' can find it online at a pretty low cost...slip it in his sandwich or I know that isn't easy to live with...good luck...

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:11 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

  • Just to expand on my first post, the difference comes when the person doesn't experience many episodes of "mania" as they do depression. Even though manic depressive isn't even listed in the DSM-IV anymore, therapists are more likely to actually write down "manic-depressive" , rather than bi-polar disorder. It sounds like your husband may have Bi-polar 1.


    Answer by legalmommy101 at 1:21 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.