Piercings *This is a question for christians*

How come piercings are a sin? King David got his ears pierced and so many women of the bible had piercings and NOT just ears. So why the argument? Even the whole jewellery debate. Why is it said that christians can't wear jewellery, if that is true then why did God give us gold and gems?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:17 AM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• There is nothing wrong as long as you keep the temple holy unto God.
    Some christians believe that body piercings are wrong because it is defiling the temple.. your body.
    Back in those days it was a cultural thing. Also pagans did this and God instructed the Israelites to be wise in why they wear certain things and to be sure it is not from idols.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:56 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I'm a Christian and I've never heard of it being against anything. Maybe overly pierced (eyebrows, nose, lips....multiple times), but i think that by that point a person just looks ridiculous(and I dont mean a few, but like 3 in the lip, both nostrils, and so on). I think it might be something about ruining the body.....Even in a hole closes up, you can still see where it use to be. Same with tattoos.

I have 1 tattoo and three piercings in each ear, but i rarely wear earrings. Just dont want anyone to think I was bashing or putting any one down who does have many piercings.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 1:21 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• There are only certain denominations that dont allow jewelry. this question should not be directed to all Christians in such a general way.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:23 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Who said Christians can't wear jewelry or get piercings? I have never read anything against it in the bible, so I don't think there is anything wrong with it. God accepts and loves all of us, piercings or not.
    chocaholic888

Answer by chocaholic888 at 1:40 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I did not mean to generalize it in sucha way. I just am trying to figure stuff out. I was raised where jewellery is sinful and piercings are sinful. But growing up I couldn't wait to wear my wedding ring.
    One cause it imo was a piece of jewellery that God allowed and two that means I would be married. But I just don't see why God would give us metals and gems and not allow us to use them. Is it a sort of test? Do metals an gems make the earth beter for us? Idk...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:16 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Somebody show me a verse in the Bible that says",,,Thou shall not pierceth(is that even a word) any part of thine body..." (Had to do it that cause I keep seein Charlton Heston as Moses) and I'll take my peirced earings off. Till then or till God Himself tells me otherwise they stay!!!
    WAganma56

Answer by WAganma56 at 2:38 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I know some denoms feel that way, but I don't. I would like to get my nose pierced with something sparkly. I had my belly button pierced, but that didn't work out too well.

TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 2:57 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Yes, in the OLD testament it mentions how you shouldn't peirce or tattoo. I can't remember the verse or the book! I know it is in the first 4 books of the bible. BUT the New Testament says "all sins are washed away by the blood of the Lamb" and the only laws to obey are the 10 Commandments and the Golden Rule! It says over and over throughout the bible not to "descriminate against thy neighbor". Christains are supposed to be accepting and loving no matter what! The reason is to not make it an "idol", but I see no problem with either periecings or tatts. The old testament has so many laws that we don't have to adhere to because of Jesus. I have never read we couldn't wear gems however...
    And, I have my ears peirced, my nose peirced, my belly button peirced, and a tattoo. I want to get another set in my ears, my cartilage peirced, my nipples peirced and womenly area peirced, along with a back peice and an anklet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:03 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Our denom is against the wearing of jewelry. I choose not to wear any because, for me, the motive would obviously be vanity. I want to draw attention to Christ not, myself. Back in OT times, jewelry was used as currency. People literally wore their wealth, and some people still do that today. Wearing jewelry was even a sign of pagan worship. Whenever the people prepared to go before God, they put these things away. (Genesis 35:1-4)

The Bible instructs Christians to come out and be separate from the world, ( 2 Cor. 6:17 ) and not to do anything for "vainglory" or in other translations, "vain conceit" or "pride". (Philippians 2:3) I'm convinced that the only purpose jewelry would serve for myself would be one of pride and "vainglory." Lucifer rebelled because of his great beauty due to the jewels that covered him. (Ezekiel 28:13-18) I have no desire to look like him. God made me beautifully, I require no enhancements.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:14 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• There are two specific verses that I can think of. One in the Old Testament and one in the New. I believe that both are incorrectly used to say NO jewelry or piercings. The OT verse is a law for the Israelites and says they are not to make piercings or cuttings "for the dead." Often that last part is left off of the verse when people use it. Think of the countries and cultures that will cut themselves to show their grief at a loved ones death. I believe that is what it is talking about. Israel was to be different from other nations.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:40 AM on Sep. 4, 2009