Does my kid have a right to computer time at school? Is the teacher mean?

My son is in kindergarten and he comes home everyday complaining that he does not get computer time and other children do. I asked the teacher about it because I felt it wasn't fair. She said that the computer was a choice when students finish work and that my son is not finishing his work. She said that maybe he should use his desire to use the computer as incentive to finish his work. I told her that every kid needs a turn and I will personally come in next week to guarantee he gets one. The teacher's response was that he will receive computer time when he learns to complete his work in a timely manner. I don't think she realizes she is not dealing with college kids, but FIVE YEAR OLDS!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:40 AM on Sep. 4, 2009 in

• If your child is actually struggling with the work, then I think he needs some individual attention to help him finish on time and thus get computer time. If he's dilly dallying, then I think the teacher is right and he needs to learn to do his work first. I have worked in kindergarten classes before, and the teachers I have worked with knew which kids were just goofing off and taking their sweet time and which kids actually needed help, and treated the situation accordingly. Chances are, your son will do his work in a more timely fashion if you back the teacher.

toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:53 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• please dont get mad at me. If this were my child and there are no known learning problems then i would be backing the teacher on this. Think of it this way, your children are at the table having dinner you have made a huge choclate cake for after dinner but everyone has to finish what is on their plate. your other children finish their dinner and are allowed to have the cake but one has decided that he wants the cake now and is ignoring his dinner...would you just say forget the dinner and eat cake cause its only fair since the other kids are eating it then he should get to also? most parents would make him finish his dinner like the other children did in order to get the cake.

School work is no different, one of the things they teach in kindy is learning to be a good student thats why there is a rewards system, you finish you school work and you are given free choice time. its about building good study habits.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:58 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I agree with 3_ring_circus, a child who is not finishing his work because he is playing or just procrastinating should not be rewarded like the other kids who are finishing their work on time are being rewarded. If it were my kid, I would definitely be backing the teacher up, and I would be working with my child at home to make sure he understands what he is doing, and that he can do it properly with no real problems.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:11 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Totally agree with 3ring.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:00 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Yep, I agree with the others. I would be backing the teacher. Kids, even 5 year olds, need to be responsible for themselves and their work and learn consequences. That is what school is about.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:06 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• It starts with computer time. A few more years it's yelling at the coach because your kid didn't get as much play time as another kid. Then it's screaming at the principal for suggesting your little angel started the fight. By college you're leaving messages for their student adviser at least twice a week to make sure the professors are all treating your little angel fairly.
    Yes, you are right on track to be THAT mom. Stop now before it's too late.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:31 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• you shouldnt go against what the teacher is saying UNLESS it was singling out your kid JUST because she didnt like him or something like that...but this is a rule she insists with everyone...and as a parent i doubt you reward your child for NOT doing something he is told...if you do that, and go into class just because of a computer...you are telling your child its okay to do whatever he wants and to hell with the consequences....dont set your son up for failure...im completely baffled by your attitude about this...if my child was told to complete something and they would get a reward, and the teacher GAVE them the reward even if they didnt finish cause they were goofing off...i would be mad at the teacher for THAT!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 8:50 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Okay, I agree somewhat with you and somewhat with the other moms. Theres some level of middle ground here and it doesnt have to be one way or the other. If he is finishing his work in the ALLOTTED amt of time given, which means hes on target and not behind, then he should be allowed computer time. JUST because other students can finish their work faster doesnt mean they have more rights to the computer. It just means the work is a bit easier for them, or they are rushing through just to take time on the computer. I see this same dynamic in my home all the time. I have 4 kids and for awhile we only had 1 computer, now we have 3 and we are getting ready to get 2 more, but my son wouldnt even get up to go to the bathroom because he didnt want anyone taking it from him. Thats how kids are. I think her theory is okay for kids who finish early, but this child has NOT done anything wrong and if he begins to feel that is his CONT
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:17 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• only way to obtain computer time, then he will begin rushing through his work and making careless errors because he feels like he is bound to fail. There shouldnt be a pecking order to get computer time and this teacher is making it so. She would be best served to keep this principle but also implement another time for students to get on which would give the slower working children (who might benefit from computer time) time on the computer later in the day. Or even after school. I dont think he should be completely eliminated from this because hes the last one done. If hes NOT finishing at all, then I would be concerned about that but if hes finishing, just not the first one, then thats not bad and he should not be penalized for it. I would approach this teacher differently. Dont demand anything to her. Just say, is there another time he can earn computer priviledges? Shes creating a very competitive environment and thats bad
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:21 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Sorry, I agree with the teacher. Children should NOT be rewarded for not doing their work. Computer time in the classroom is a PRIVELEGE NOT A RIGHT. I am sure he gets computer time in computer class. Stop babying him and let the teacher make the decisions in the classroom. Good work habits are learned from Kindergarten on up. If he wants computer time, then he needs to complete his work in a timely manner. If he is having trouble completing the work, then he needs to learn to ask for help. But it sounds like that he is used to mommy doing for him. I would NOT go into that classroom and demand that he gets his turn. I would go in to observe what he is doing when he should be doing his work. I AGREE 100% WITH THE TEACHER ON THIS.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:44 AM on Sep. 4, 2009