Incompetent Cervix??

Today I finally learned the reason that my now 20 month old dd was 17 weeks premature , I have a incompetent cervix. I am about 7 -8 weeks pregnant with baby number two and the doctor told me that around 13 weeks I would need to receive a cerclage to prevent premature birth again. Has anyone had one of these and can you please give me some insight on what I should be expecting??

toledoohiomom

Asked by toledoohiomom at 1:49 AM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The good thing is that you know you need one. I got the cerclage placed when I was preg with my son when I was 25 weeks, I was in silent labor and have an IC also. With my next pregnancy I had one scheduled for 13 weeks.
    Basically, once it is placed, many women say they can not feel it once they get used to it. As your baby grows, though, and puts the normal pressure on your cervix, it will be only natural to feel the stitch.
    When it is placed, some slight spotting is normal, since they are manipulating your cervix. When it is removed, honestly, the best way I can describe it is that it feels like they are removing a tampon.
    There are risks, so be sure to discuss them with your doctor. Every doctor will give different instructions. Sex may be more uncomfortable since the stitches are there. Good luck! It is not that bad once you get over the nerves, which are the biggest part.
    MidnightSun327

Answer by MidnightSun327 at 5:28 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancycomplications/incompetentcervix.html

Start there and do more research for yourself.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:56 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I have done research I am looking for people with personal experience.
    toledoohiomom

Answer by toledoohiomom at 10:58 AM on Sep. 4, 2009