Potty Training my son?

My son is 2 and is potty trained but only w/ his underware off. I dont know how to get him to go to the potty with his underware on. He doesnt want to go to the potty on his own and happens to pee in his pants all the time. I hate the fact that my child is the only child i know right now that doesnt know how to go to the potty. I have people tell me that i should have my child potty trained by now but i tell them that i just had a new baby and i just want to get him use to her first. Its really good that he goes potty by himself w/ his underware on but i would love for him to go to the potty by himself and tell me he has to go potty. Please help!

brit041

Asked by brit041 at 3:45 PM on Jun. 23, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You are doing the best with your child that you know. Do not listen to what other people say. Boys are harder than girls and all children will learn on the time that is right for them. You are a great Mom!
    momat38

Answer by momat38 at 3:53 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Hi

My son is eight now but first of all - do not pay any attention to what anybody wants to tell you. He is your baba and dont let their criticisms upset you.

I often find that a reward scheme works best- a reward cannot be taken away or if your son weeps in his pants then there's no black marks/punishments. Good rewards are stickers. The chart can be put in the kitchen or wherever he spends most of his time - if it is visible (at his height) he will be able to monitor his progress. If he gets say 5 stickers for every time he goes to the loo then maybe a special reward - something that he likes (sweetie or a small toy). This gives him a visible goal to work towards. I hope this helps. Thinking of you.
    busymum66

Answer by busymum66 at 3:53 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I potty trained both my boys using the run around naked method and they were close to 2 and a half, so don't worry that he's too old. Boys take longer to get potty trained than girls ( so I'm told) At 2, he's doing just fine. The thing is about boys, they just don't care if they sit in dirty or wet pants, boys are pigs!!! LOL!! My boys are 6 and 8 and they are completely filthy all the time especially now that it's summer. Your son is doing fine, so don't worry about what everyone else says, you don't owe them an explanation!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 4:09 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Ok first of all DO NOT feel bad about him not using the potty properly all the time...He's 2! Boys generally take longer....both of my boys did it on their own at 3! Never any accidents! So he'll do it when he's ready! Be patient!
    love_my_boys

Answer by love_my_boys at 4:29 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I think you're doing a great job! If your son is only 2 and using the potty, that's awesome! He isn't behind at all! Just keep doing what you're doing & encouraging him to use the potty. Tell him he has to be a big boy so he can show his baby sibling how to use the potty someday... or some other encouraging line that will make him feel like a big boy! Good luck to you!
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 4:46 PM on Jun. 23, 2008