watery breastmilk?

dd only drinks from my right breast so I usually pump my left. on most days I have a few drops of a lighter color before the milk starts flowing. tonight I was seriously engorged so I pumped both breasts after dd ate. well my right did its normal white milk but my left did a watery milk color. it looked like someone drank a glass of milk then filled it with water. I pumped 3oz or so then stopped even though I'm not empty. I thought it was weird/gross. I'm gonna dump it but was wondering if anyone can share some insight to this watery milk... thanks ladies!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:55 AM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• thats normal. there is the foremilk hindmilk and the fat in the milk makes a difference too. i wouldnt dump it, its not like it is bad. and my right boob does what yours does, my boob will still be full and no more will come out when i pump. try doing it with your hand, it stimulates it better. a pump and a babies mouth are totally different and make a huge difference extracting the milk.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:43 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Normal! Your milk is MOSTLY water. Which is why breastfed babies need no other liquid.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:49 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• thanks ladies! so can I continue bf and pumping then?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:04 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• OF COURSE!! 1st off, congrats on bf. It's a rewarding experience. 2nd don't let the color or smell throw you off. Look up the ingredients in foremilk (looks more like skim milk) and hindmilk (like whole milk) Most of the fat is in the hindmilk but the foremilk as a lot of good stuff too.

As for baby preferring one side, that's not uncommon. Try this: if you have baby in cradle hold slide her over to the side in football hold. Maybe she doesn't like the position.

I had the same experience but kept offering both. At 15 mos he's doing great!

GOOD LUCK!
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 3:32 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• yes, i did both and it has a much more watery look than regular milk...it's fine
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:41 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• What everyone else said.

Mine looks like that.. if you let it sit in the fridge it'll also separate out even more and this really thick white fat will end up on top much like if you let a roast sit in the fridge.

It looks nasty if you shake it up.. like it has chunks of fat in it.. lol.. but it's just the fat separated out.

Of course you can keep BF'ing ;)
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 10:58 AM on Sep. 4, 2009