False labor? When to be concerned?

All day today I have experienced BH contractions. Slowly they started getting closer together. A few were 31minutes apart - then a few were about 27minutes apart - then it jumped to 21minutes apart for a few contractions - then 17minutes apart. After about 4 that were 17minutes apart it went back up to 23minutes apart & has been like that for 5 contractions now. I am 31weeks 5days pregnant, & I believe this is just false labor. However, does false labor turn into regular labor, or will it just stop eventually? When exactly should I become concerned?

WannabeMommy87

Asked by WannabeMommy87 at 2:16 AM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I think that IF you notice them coming and then coming again (infrequently like what you've described)-- stop timing. Make a note on paper about what you've noticed and then move away from it. Do what you can to re-hydrate, rest, eat healthy snacks, sleep, decompress... Try to get things peaceful & calm on the outside and the inside.

But if you notice them coming very shortly one after another, like every few minutes (5-10 minutes apart), try to slow them and if it won't slow the contractions after an hour or so, call your midwife/doctor.

It is very common to have dehydration-caused contractions at this timeframe. Our bodies have an "alarm" that goes off when there is trouble, alerting us asap. We need to be sure and listen. Make sure you're taking excellent care of yourself-- your body is yelling at you. ;-P
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:35 AM on Sep. 4, 2009