diarrhea for a week??

my son has had a cold for the past week, and he has had diarrhea. he poops 3 or 4 times a day (not usually, just recently since he's been sick) and im getting kind of worried. is it normal for a child to have diarrhea for this long? actually sometimes it will be normal poop, but most of the time just diarrhea. he acts totally normal. and he's not taking any medicine. we give him plenty of liquids and he eats like he normally does. advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:11 AM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• How old is your son? My DD is 15 months old and she poops like 3-5x a day and it can get runny and 5-8x a day when her teeth are bothering her.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 3:55 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• OOPS I would give his doctor a call and bring him in. Something else may be going on besides just a cold and diarrhea.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 3:57 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• look up the rotto virus on webmd or it maybe webdr.com
    my daughter had a seizure once at that age from getting too dehydrated so please make sure he is getting enough fluid, do not get too busy to force fluids, squirt pedialyte in his mouth ect., with med dropper if he refuses, plus keep him eating banannas for the potassium! As long as he is not throwing up fluids too he will prob be okay. If his lips look dry at all he needs to drink more,try white grape juice!
    muffin400

Answer by muffin400 at 4:03 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• and look at his tongue and in his mouth to check for saliva. If it's present he's not dehydrated, if his mouth is dry let him walk around with a sippy cup of water and see how he does. You might try childrens' Immodium OTC if you want to continue waiting it out. I know how that is, I hate taking the kids in for every little sniffle. My boy had a bad bout of diarrhea off and on for a week + like your son ,at one time when he was around 4 and the Immodium helped. Also too much juice will cause diarrhea, so limit him to 2 cups of juice per day and encourage water or pedialite. Just some suggestions to try til you can make him an appt :)
    6under1roof

Answer by 6under1roof at 5:25 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• My son had diarrhea for about 10 days. Well, towards the end it was loose stools. I called the doctor and made it clear I didn't want to come in if it wasn't necessary. They said as long as he was getting plenty of fluids and wasn't running a fever, it would run it's course. You can always call a double check with the doctor, but sounds like he is doing well. Things should get more solid soon!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:21 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• i would call his doctor and ask them but keep up the fluids
    chera135

Answer by chera135 at 9:35 AM on Sep. 4, 2009