How many ounces should you give a 4 week old?

I'm exclusively breastfeeding and I just got my daughter to take a 2 oz. bottle of breastmilk but she still cried and I ended up nursing the rest of the feeding. I only gave her 2 oz. b/c I remember the hospital saying that newborns are to only take that much formula. What should I increase the oz. to? When I pump, I usually produce 2.5-4 oz.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:24 AM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 2-4oz...but baby knows when they are full...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:26 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• By the time my DD was 4 weeks old she was drinking about 5-6 oz in each sitting and that was every 4-5 hours. But, every child is different. Baby's know when there full.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 3:53 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• feed til the baby doesn't want to eat anymore. Don't worry about how many ounces she's getting - especially if she's breastfeeding! put whatever you can pump in an appropriate size bottle and let her have at it!! Good luck!
    6under1roof

Answer by 6under1roof at 5:15 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• You give them as much as they want. Babies don't read the book and don't know how much they're "supposed" to eat.

My 4 week olds were taking 6oz of formula.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:24 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Don't worry about ounces. They don't count ounces, they eat til they're full. It's better for baby's oral development and your supply to just feed at the breast anyway (whenever you can).
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 11:10 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• By 4 weeks a baby probably has gained back to their birth weight atleast, maybe more. So she's not a "new newborn" anymore.. she's gained weight.. so she'll eat more than 2 oz if that's what she was eating at birth..

Feed her til she's full. You can't overfeed with breastmilk. You can overfeed with formula, but, usually baby won't let you and you'd have to choke it into them.. so really you can't overfeed them either!

Nurses want schedules for everything.. Nurses don't necessarily know everything though. One overheated my son in the NICU (sweat was pouring off of him, his little pad was soaked!) and she's like "why isn't he peeing.. maybe he needs an IV" til I pointed it out to her. Duurrhh.

Feed your baby as much as she wants ! :)
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 11:24 AM on Sep. 4, 2009