For those who don't think human actions are causing global warming

I am by no means well informed on the matter of global warming, but I have one question. I keep seeing people who say they don't believe in global warming or they believe that the earth has weather cycles (which I do think it does). So, do those of you who do NOT believe that human actions are contributing to global warming, do you also not feel that the things we do affect the earth and its atmosphere and weather, etc? I mean all the things like burning fossil fuels, clearing forests, etc. What are your opinions?

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 4:52 AM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think anyone who thinks that humans are not impacting the earth are fools. Yes, the earth has cycles, but it is much more complicated than people think. Yep - no humans around during the ice age, which means we cannot effectively say what caused it - but evidence points to orbital changes and meteorite impacts - external forces acting upon the Earth to cause these events - similar to the extinction of the dinosaur.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:25 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I believe the Earth has a cycle, we have seen it in the past thousands of years ago. You know land where there were oceans, Oceans where land was. Look at the ice age the whole world froze then defrosted without man. I personally do not believe we are running out of "resources" there are so many elements on earth that can't be called resources yet, because we do not know how to use them. In all seriousness, I think that what we barely scratch the surface of the earth I do believe the planet is alive like when you cut your grass doesn't it grow back? I think you should really pay attention to the temperatures around. For instance Chicago had one of its coldest summers EVER does that sound like global warming?
    Chicago link http://cbs2chicago.com/local/chicago.coldest.july.2.1103959.html
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:11 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• That's why it's not trendy to call it global warming anymore. You're supposed to call it "climate change" now. It's an incredibly selective science, that does things like cite the polar melt in one area and completely ignores more recent record polar ice growth in another. And of course we impact the atmopshere. A fly hitting the window screen impacts your house. But he's not going to knock it over. Look at the new evil toxic substance - CO2. We humans make less than 1% of it with our nasty industrialized ways, but that's not going to stop someone like Al Gore from making millions of dollars by scaring people about it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:18 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• But are all of the people "causing" Global Warming/Climate Change ONLY located in the United States?! Hmmmm, MAYBE if every industrialized/civilized country in the world were on board with the concept of decreasing pollutant emissions, things MIGHT be different (doubtful, but lets say for arguments sake)?!

If China is going to laugh in our face while building new coal plants weekly and sending up God knows what into the atmosphere, why should the people in the US be forced to try and "counterbalance" their pollution levels and forced to adopt an Amish lifestyle? LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:30 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I understand what you are saying Lorikeet, never thought about it that way. I do think that what we do does affect our environment in a negative way though, and I want to leave my kids and grandkids the best environment I can. I have not studied anything on "global warming" but I read the debates on here all the time. I don't see how we think we can release all these toxic chemicals into the atmosphere and it not have an effect. I do also think the earth has cycles for weather, that has been fairly well proven. These past 2 years here in WA have been very odd weather though. For 2 summers in a row we had record breaking highs, and 2 winters in a row we've had record breaking lows, and last winter we had 8" of snow in a few days near Tacoma, whereas the average for snowfall accumulation is less than an inch in this area. We had lows that were way below the record temps, then this summer we've had highs over 100 for a full week
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:35 PM on Sep. 4, 2009