breastfeeding question..

I found out yesterday that i am going to need surgery after i have my baby its going to be 6 weeks after i have him but i will be in the hospital for 3 days after and not able to breastfeed. I am wanting to breastfeed him but i am not sure about freezing milk and stuff like that. If i was to let the baby drink formula when i cant pump would it stop him from drinking the breast milk. I'm so confused. I know i can pump while in the hospital but i'm so afarid i wont be able to have alot of bottles made. Help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:11 AM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• freezeing works great, if you want to breastfeed, pump it will help to keep up your supply while your in the hospital, If you pump in between feeding when your home with him, it will help increase your supply a little bit this way it will make it easier to have a supply for him while your in the hospital, I'm not against formula, i had to use it with my son becasue i dried up, early but my advice is pump
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 5:17 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• 6 weeks is a good time to get your baby used to taking a bottle. I think they recommend you don't use a bottle before they are 2 weeks old if you want them to get to grips with BF, but if you leave it later than 6 weeks to give a bottle (whether it be pumped or formula) they sometimes refuse the bottle. I agree that you can try pumping and freezing - and the lactation consultant at the hospital you deliever at should be able to advise you on how to do this (it needs to be kept in certain compartments or at certain temps and I canot remember for sure). Try not to have unrealistic expectations - it is a lot of hard work BF and pumping for storage too. Some women can be successful BF but not successful with pumping. The main thing is to keep up your supply whilst you are unable to feed and so deiniftely pump then (but dump it). Forumal for 3 days won't harm your baby if you cannot manage to get a store up.
    mummy2tristan

Answer by mummy2tristan at 5:58 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Please make sure if you continue to pump while in the hospital that you check with your doctor and find out what drugs they will be giving you, and if it is safe to continue to feed your baby the pumped milk. If not just pump and store ahead of time! And keep pumping while in the hospital to keep your supply, just don't feed it to your baby! Talk to your doctor, and they should be able to answer any questions, and may have other suggestions!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 8:41 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Why will you not be able to nurse for 3 days after surgery? Usually, with most surgeries, you can nurse as soon as you are awake, and feeling up to it. Now, I know the baby won't be with you 24/7 if you are admitted, but ask the hospital for one of their pumps to use for times when you are separated.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:01 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:22 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• The poster about me gave you a great link. I also recomend that you find an IBCLC (International Borad Certified Lactation Consultant) in your area. She can help you figure things out tha will work best for your family, ways to help keep your milk goign strong while in the hospital, and ways to provent niple confusin while you are way.

http://www.ilca.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3337 and/or http://www.breastfeeding.com/directory/lcdirectory.html

hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 1:30 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• well i am in germany and the surgery i am having is to remove a cyst thats not cancer but if i dont get it removed wil be. I was told that this hospital i am going to doesnt allow you to have that many visitors that day of surgery but i was also told that depending on how it goes i might be able to come home soon than 3 days. thanks so much for the adivce
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:38 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Freeze it, store it, just make sure you keep pumping even though you won't be using the milk after your surgery. If you stop pumping you milk production may slow down or even stop. And no, a mothers milk is much more sweet and the baby will prefer it over formula!
    luvbnmomnwife

Answer by luvbnmomnwife at 11:14 AM on Sep. 5, 2009