Are working moms less likely to be involved in domestic violence incidents than stay-at-home moms?

"Domestic violence can happen to anyone regardless of race, age, sexual orientation, religion, or gender. Domestic violence affects people of all socioeconomic backgrounds and education levels. Domestic violence occurs in both opposite-sex and same-sex relationships and can happen to intimate partners who are married, living together, or dating.

Domestic violence not only affects those who are abused, but also has a substantial effect on family members, friends, co-workers, other witnesses, and the community at large. Children, who grow up witnessing domestic violence, are among those seriously affected by this crime. Frequent exposure to violence in the home not only predisposes children to numerous social and physical problems, but also teaches them that violence is a normal way of life - therefore, increasing their risk of becoming society's next generation of victims and abusers."
http://www.ovw.usdoj.gov/domviolence.htm

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:25 AM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• then she came in with a black eye that looked so bad, it had shades of yellow and green to the bruise and the director of the daycare called the cops and made her file a police report against the guy (the director said if she didnt the director would have to call csb for her daugher's safety.) so because of krista working, someone saw evidence of her abuse and forced her to face it and make him get arrested for it, she ended up moving out of his mom's house, found another man a few years later and is now happily married to him with another on the way, so yes working can get some women out of dom. violence. if she hadnt worked, she would have prolly stayed forever, for lack of means to support herself and blinded by the whole "i love him but he beats me" dilema ... so i agree with the original question.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 10:17 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I don't see how you got that question from that article.

I suspect WOHM might get out of it quicker but I don't think it's less likely to happen. If a SAHM gets a black eye she can hide out at home for a few days till it subsides but a WOHM needs to go to work so people are more likely to see them and put two and two together. It's also possible for a SAHM to have no regular contact with the same people if they choose so nobody is there to add it together but WOHMs are seeing the same people several times a week so they'd notice a pattern of unexplained injuries.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 8:29 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

Sorry! I know it is not related to the question. OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Only if they are at work when he's at home...... an abusive man will find a way and an opportunity to abuse regardless of what a woman does.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 8:32 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I think that from a man perspective they are more likely to abuse woman who can't defend themselves which in most of the cases are SAHMs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:34 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I think it's possible that it could be less likely, but on the other hand, if a man wants to be violent with his woman, he is going to be regardless of the situation.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 8:38 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Why in the world would a SAHM not be able to defend herself? That doesn't make sense. It's not like SAHMs are locked away and never see the light of day.
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 8:40 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I don't think being a sahm or a working mom has anything to do with it. Ok, so he doesn't punch her in the face, he punches her in the stomach, or the arm, or the back. Or he slaps her, or he rapes her, or any other number of things.

My mom was a working mom, and she was abused. My grandmother was also abused, though women at that point in time didn't have any resources available to do anything about it.

I'm a SAHM, and my dh has never done anything like that to me.

I don't think working or not has anything to do with it, it has to do with the type of man you're with, and where you are mentally and emotionally as far as why you're with a man like that.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:42 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Oh, and my sister is a working mom, and her first husband was abusive towards her, but her second husband is not.

Like I said, I think it has less to do with whether the woman works or not than it does with whether the woman feels that as a PERSON, they deserve it / love him / can't do better / are sure he's going to change / don't believe in divorce / thinks it's normal to be treated that way, etc.

That has to do with mind set, not employment status, kwim?
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:45 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I don't know that they are less likely to be initially involved in a DV incident. However, financial concerns are one of the main reasons that battered women do not leave their abusers. SAHM generally do not have incomes, and would have a more difficult time leaving
    tcgwo

Answer by tcgwo at 9:11 AM on Sep. 4, 2009