Going back to work after many years of being a SAHM

and I need HELP! I haven't worked a "real" job in 6 years b/c I've been home raising my child with special needs, but he's older now & I can leave him w/others for short periods after school. Now I need to find a job, preferably in my own field, but cover letters are not my strong suit & my resume is sorely out of date. How do I account for the last 6 years w/o sounding like a whiner? And I'm going to need time off for already scheduled appts. & therapies, plus if he gets sick (always serious) I have to be the one home or at the hosp. w/him, etc. I need to work a "9-5" type job that's steady & predictable so I can work around my son's school schedule, but I also need flexibility should circumstances suddenly change. How can I get this across w/o sounding unreasonably demanding? And when do I broach the subject?All you job experts out there - HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:54 AM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Money & Work

• YOU ARE GOING OFF INTO VERY SCARY TERRITORY, I OFTEN THINK OF THIS ABOUT MYSELF IF AFTER 30 SOME YEARS I NEED TO DO THE SAME. I SUGGEST YOU PUT IN YOUR RESUME THAT YOU WERE A DOMESTIC ENGINEER FOR THE LAST SIX YEARS, AND JUST PLAIN UP FRONT TELLTHEM WHAT YOUR CIRCUMSTANCES ARE AND THE SCHEDULE YOU NEED. YOU WILL PROBABLY FIND A LOT OF SYMPATHY, BE HONEST, IT IS THE BEST POLICY.

Answer by older at 9:00 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Have you ever thought about working from home? I work from home, because my son has to therapy 3 times a week. Message me if you're interested. I'd love to help you reach your financial goals!
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 10:57 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Sorry to be brash, but you'll never find a "steady 9-5" that allows you to be that flexible. I suggest retail jobs, which isn't always that bad, think At&T, Verizon, etc.... or work at home. If you want a good work at home company, message me.
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 11:15 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Have you thought about starting your own home based business.  I have lots of ideas in my  work at home articles on eHow.  They contain excellent resources, ideas and information.  Also, I have a Blog about computer jobs sorted into those that pay via Paypal and those that pay utilizing other means.  You can check them all out at my website:

www.athome.yolasite.com

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:03 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I don't want a work at home business. While I appreciate the offers, it is simply not something I am interested in. If your intent is to promote your businesses, please don't bother to reply.

No, I don't want to work retail - I went to college for a reason! Besides, retail jobs around here do not pay a living wage & any job I take must cover my current expenses & offer medical benefits or it isn't worth it financially for me to go back to work.

When I went to college, there were plenty of opportunities for me in my field, but then my son was dx'd during my sophmore year & everything changed. I realize that I'm asking for a bit much wanting both regular 9-5 dependability plus flexibility, but I know that I will excel at whatever I end up with once I learn the job requirements, so I'm not worried about not being able to get the job done around my own needs. What I need to know is how to let a potential boss know it, too
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:08 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Stay-at-home moms have many skills that employers value: logistics, bugeting, time management, etc.

Your first step should be updating (or setting up) your Linkedin profile. Next you need to update your resume, work up an elevator speech, and structure your jobsearch. Start going to networking events, set up search agents for the job boards; you can write basic coverletters, but they will need to be customized for each position you apply to.

I do career & job search coaching. I am always happy to help cafemoms (and dads) with resumes, cover letters, job search strategy & interview prep. Feel free to contact me directly. –Robin

Answer by rkoloms at 5:38 PM on Sep. 4, 2009