Who does this?

My friend's husband works for Safeway. They just voted to go on strike. As soon as they told Safeway they were striking, Safeway said like hell you are and put them on lock out instead (basically indefinite unpaid suspension for all union employees).

What kind of morons vote to go ON STRIKE when unemployment is in double digits for the majority of the country? Nobody is irreplaceable, especially union employees who can be replaced with half-price scabs at the drop of a hat. How self-absorbed does someone have to be to think they have a shred of a leg to stand on to negotiate in this kind of economy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree with you. A grocery store in my area was having financial problems when the union decided to strike. The loss of business pushed the grocery store into bankruptcy and EVERYONE lost their jobs. I don't see how the union helped anyone in that situation. Striking during a recession is equally stupid.

The Safeway in my area gets almost no business as it is, because their prices are so high. A strike would definitely put them under.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:01 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Good, we need less unions. Pretty stupid I agree.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• What kind of morons vote to go ON STRIKE when unemployment is in double digits for the majority of the country?

Unions=Morons
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• People don't know how to negoiate anymore.
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 10:05 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• In our area the grocery stores did the same thing when the unions striked. No one considered those who took the jobs scabs and the chain paid them exactly what they paid the union workers before they went on strike with the same benefits. We were harassed and many cars were damaged by the union workers. When the chain gave into the demands and put the union workers back to work no one would shop there they remembered those same employees screaming threats and profanities. They shut down after a month.

Unions are long past their usefulness. I worked for Costco in Cali for a brief time. I had great benefits when we lived in Missouri. They union in Cali managed to make sure the employees benefits were less than the non union employees.lol It was crazy. I made 3 bucks an hour more than the union workers and had better insurance and school assistance. It was comical.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• People don't know how to negoiate anymore
    **
    Or SPELL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Unions were absolutely needed 100 years ago, to force companies to pay workers a living wage, stop using child labor, etc. Now? Not so much. They do more harm than good, IMO.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Dunno. The school secretaries are doing it here.
    PA has NO state budget. That's right- our legislators have STILL not agreed on a state budget. Schools are limping by on last year's numbers, hoping for the best. Housing and childcare subsidies are not being paid, assistance and housing waiting lists have been suspended.
    yet, the secretaries are on strike. On strike against school systems that CANNOT raise their pay because they have NO budget.
    Asinine.
    emhain

Answer by emhain at 11:57 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Its that kind of attitude that got us into this situation in the first place-believing that no matter how well the company was doing, or how well you did your job that you deserved more money. A company where i live recently went on strike. They got there raise, but 6 wks later over 100 employees were laid off because the company couldn't afford the raise with all the employees. I say-SERVES THOSE IDIOTS RIGHT!!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Anon :59, that is what happened with the UPS strike a few years back. They got the pay increases and more people were moved to full-time, but they laid off many people once the strike was over and the ones who were left had to take over larger territories and work twice as hard.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 12:31 PM on Sep. 4, 2009