Do any of you wear colored contacts? With Rx or just for fun?

My daughter (14) has expressed interest in getting a pair for fun. I have not done any research on them yet so thought I'd start here. I am a little leery but willing to if there are no side effects, she says they are under a hundred dollars and she can pay for them herself. That was my initial thought, if they're pricey - forget it but am also worried they aren't good for her eyes.
Also, if you have/had them please let me know your honest opinion. Thanks !

parrishsky

Asked by parrishsky at 10:18 AM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Yea definitely discuss the issues. And she will probably try them but then at least she knows what to possibly expect. Hmmm I might try them again if they're better. I used to get green ones to make my eyes greener. I loved them!
    CherBearCM

Answer by CherBearCM at 2:08 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I have blue ones. I love them, I wear contacts anyway, if she has never worn them then they are tricky to get in your eye. No side effects that I can think of. Its not permanant and it would be fun! I say go for it. If she doesnt have a perscription then she can get away with 1 box. (I have to have abox for each eye cause my vision is different in each eye) At the eye doctor I got to try on all different colors til I found the shade I wanted but that may add to the expense.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:25 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Thanks Ria7. I'm going to the eye doc to see if they have anything she can look at. I was mostly worried about side effects. If it's her money and aren't harmful then why not? She wears glasses but we're not getting these with the prescription, just plain for fun.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 10:44 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• i have 3. They arent prescription. i got them for 30 dollars at 800contacts.com. they sell prescription ones too.
    jennielynnmwah

Answer by jennielynnmwah at 12:15 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I have several boxes in different colors - I got the disposable weekly wear in both blue and green, because it's fun! I did it the first time right after I left my ex because I wanted a big change - got 14 inches cut off my hair and got some color contacts. I have a prescription, but have always worn clear until a few years ago.

Answer by missanc at 1:45 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I used to wear them before I got eye surgery. Now, I think I would like to get coloured ones just for the fun of it BUT I had so many problems with contacts. My eyes would get super dry, which would make them itchy and sore. And apparently sitting in front of the computer makes it worse for some reason (I was actually told by my eye doctor not to wear them at work because I was in front of a computer all the time) Mind you I had astigmatism and I know that in itself can cause problems if you're wearing contacts. But keep in mind I haven't worn them since about 94/95 so they may be better now.
    CherBearCM

Answer by CherBearCM at 1:46 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I admit I was sad my daughter wanted to change her brown eyes but she did mention purple which I thought was a pretty cool idea.
    I had heard that contacts are made better now Cher. An old co-worker wore them and had itchy & dry problems all the time, I felt so sorry for her! If I decide to let her do this we'll discuss the issues that may come with it. I'm sure she'll want to do it regardless of what people say. I for one do no think I could handle them.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 1:58 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Oh and by the way I think purple would look really cool on her!
    CherBearCM

Answer by CherBearCM at 2:59 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I had green Rx ones. They were fine i never had any issues. They were only a $20.00 more expensive than the clear.
    redonerulz

Answer by redonerulz at 3:57 PM on Sep. 4, 2009