My 22 month old daughter has bad separation anxiety any ideas to help?

My HUSBAND says its because she isnt around little kids alot, I take her to the park, the little gym all the time. she doesnt play with them, she just run around and plays by herself any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• take her to a daycare or find someone that will watch her a couple hours a week. if she has seperation anxiety, seperate her from yourself and hubby.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 11:37 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I don't Know. My son is 22 months old,. He goes to part time day care that he started at 16 months and still screams when I drop him off and she said he's more independent than the other kids but some kids just are. When we are at the park he just watches the kids play also and plays by himself just like he does at school.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:41 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Some kids are just more anxious than others. It has nothing to do with being around other kids. My son never had any anxiety at all (a complete stranger could walk off with him and he wouldn't care) until around 21 or 22 months. Then he started to protest when I left. They need to learn that mom comes back. I found that leaving my son with a sitter (or friend/family member) for short periods of time helped him a lot. He learned that Mom was going to come back. Although it's tempting to sneak off when she's not looking, avoid it. It can make the problem worse. When you do leave, don't make a big deal about it. Say goodbye, tell her you'll be back in a little while and leave. It does take a bit of practice for both of you!
    By the way, 22 months is still a bit young to be truly playing with other kids. However, she should at least be curious about what other kids are doing (more "parallel play").
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 1:49 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I agree with momofryan07. Every child is different. DO try to schedule some time away from your child, so that your child can learn that she is ok without you. Leave her with someone that she knows if possible, start off with short absences, and never leave without saying goodbye. If you always sneak off, she will just watch you like a hawk the next time. Also, you could give her something of yours that is special to her, that she can hold until you get back. Something she connects with you, like a watch, or a special hat/scarf can work, or make a photo album that she can carry around of her and your family. With time, she will learn that she is ok without you, and this will help her when she has to go to school and stuff in the future. She (and you) will both benefit with a little time apart.
    kiki2780

Answer by kiki2780 at 10:10 PM on Sep. 4, 2009