Suggestions to stop smoking?

First, I have never nagged my husband about quitting smoking. I respect him enough to do things his way. He has come to me and mentioned several times that he wants to quit smoking.

I am encouraging, but not demanding, and I have no expectations at this point.

When I quit smoking, it was really hard to get over the habit of smoking. Instead, I chose to chew gum. that helped a lot with the cognitive-behavioral aspect.

So I bought him a bunch of gum so that it would be available to him if and when he decided to try to quit. I told him about it, and he does not think it will help.

Do you have any suggestions as far as what to use to kick the habit?

And I am talking about the habit specifically, not the addiction to nicotine. I do not know how he will deal with that part, I am just trying to address the need to have a cig in his hands at all times.

kk_bella

Asked by kk_bella at 11:37 AM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Health

• There is a smokers helpline he can call and they'll even give him quitters gum for free. This is in AZ though, not sure where you are. Google, help with quitting smoking and your state or city and you'll find tips. Good luck!
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 11:41 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Hmm..I have no idea. I have never smoked so I really don't know BUT, my in laws both quit smoking with chantix. I would assume you are right about chewing gum for the habit part though.
    Kristinmomof2

Answer by Kristinmomof2 at 11:44 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• B and I have both done fairly well at times substituting candy. B used blow pops. i did gummy bears, jolly ranchers, and twizzlers.
    peanutsmom323

Answer by peanutsmom323 at 3:17 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Well, I would suggest that he come up with some practice skills before the official stop smoking date. This is going to sound like a middle school assignment, but I would get him a journal and have him write down some things he can do with his hands to replace the need to smoke. He could make a garden, he could have some projects to do at home, like reupholster a chair, put together model cars, LOL he could even take up embrodery or cross stitching. Buy him some playdoh to mash in his hands, or give him licorice to hold and chew. Distraction is important with any kind of addiction. And trust me, as someone who likes to eat, having coping skills in place to distract myself when I have a craving is CRUCIAL to success. I have lots more ideas, you know where to find me.
    cdgoldilocks

Answer by cdgoldilocks at 11:36 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• for me it was dum-dums, the action of playing with the stick of the sucker was enough like the action of smoking to make that part easy, from there I switched to breathmints and was the breathmint queen for a while (costco boxes of mints in a week-10 days) now I occasionally have one or a stick of gum. The big thing for me was breaking the habits associated with it. I didnt go outside at breaks, I found a book to read instead. I didn't sit on the front porch, I took the dog for a walk instead. you may have to re-organize your lives a little bit to get past it.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 1:13 PM on Sep. 6, 2009