Whoo he got up by himself today for the first time in his life.

Just a little update. After we put the fear of wrath in him last night. He got up this morning for the first time by himself ever. The last two days were hell. I took him to school came home and the next thing I knew there was banging on the door. It was the truancy officer making sure he went to school. It turns out one of my old friends is now the discipline counselor at the high school and she saw his name and came to my rescue. Lets hope he stays on this path. I stuck to my guns and it is working for now. Thanks to all you moms who lent me support this week. Have a great weekend.

dillonsma

Asked by dillonsma at 11:41 AM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• How did it ever get to this point? What 15yo just up and decides to not attend school when they have been put on the right path? My sons are almost 18 and just turned 19 and are seniors this years and it's never dawned on either one of them tthat not going to school is an option. My 19yo wouldn't EVEN consider calling himself off or signing himself out because he knows he'd be grounded (yes, at 19) if he did so. Going to school has never been an option, ever. I would think that while you are calling the cops on your son for not going to school someone sshouldd be calling CPS on you for ever letting it GET to this point!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:06 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Anon :06 shows just how little YOU know... At 15, there is only so much a parent can do to make sure their child goes to school. At 15 I was skipping nearly every day and my mom had no idea until a truancy officer showed up at her door ready to take me to the detention center for missing so much school. It's so good that your kids are SOOOO freaking perfect that they never miss a day. What i'd like to know is why a 19 year old is still a senior if he's so perfect? LOL. But with that said, you're the problem with the world everyone is so quick to call CPS on a parent even as a child is old enough to suffer their own consequences. Sometimes parents do everything in their power and their kids still get in trouble, miss school or whatever the case may be.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Really? You wake your kids out of bed and if you HAVE to you TAKE them to school and if you want to make sure they stay YOU stay. If they want to leave school then you go to the court system, find them unruly and put their lazy buts on probation. I have raised 4 children, 2 are in their 20's and 2 are seniors, and not one one of them EVER skipped school because their teachers called home if they weren't in class, the principal called home if they missed school and I am a SAHM so I knew my kids were home. My kids will also snitch on each other and if someone skipped school you can BET someone would have told me. I don't think it ever crossed their minds to skip. Oldest son graduated with a 3.2 GPA and went to college and is now a teacher, 2nd son graduated with a 3.0 GPA and went to college and does CAD and my younger 2 are honor roll students & athletes and are college bound, one for pharmacology and the other for computers.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:39 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• And, btw, there's nothing wrog with my 19yo. He just turned August 17th and he started K when he was 7 instead of 6 because he was a very sick child the year he was 6 and was in the hospital quite a bit. Being summer born he would have been 6 when he started K (the cut off was to be 5 by June 1 for where we lived and he turned 5 in August) just like his older brother who was just a few days past his 6th bday when he started K. He has never failed & is an honor student, plays football, runs track (regular and cross country), does drama & is involved in a student mentoring pogram and also works pt. He is home by 8p on school nights and by 11p on non school nights, just like his 17yo brother and just like his older 2 brothers when they were seniors. My oldest, btw, graduated 3 mos. before he turned 19 because he started K at 6 and my 19yo would have been the same age had he graduated this year.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:45 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Parents ARE responsible for their students. They CAN make their kids do what they say. It starts when they are toddlers and their parents follow through with what they tell their children. No ccounting to 10 and no waffling. If you say you are taking their toys away for a messy room DO IT. If you say that you will leave a place if they act up DO IT when they act up. My children have NEVER been spanked. They did, however, know that when we said something we meant what we said and we always stuck with our discipline actions. In 3 mos. I will have an 18yo and a 19yo and I could take their car keys away and ground them at that point and it wouldn't even cross their minds to defy us and to NOT be grounded. They RESPECT us and our rules. PERIOD.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:48 PM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Oh and mine never skipped or missed school without my permission because they actually LIKED/LIKE school. They didn't not skip because they knew the school called home (on a few days when we were all sick as dogsI forgot to call and the school called us by 9a) or because they knew they'd be in trouble. They enjoyed learning and from the time they were in the 7th grade knew they wanted to go to college and what path they wanted to follow. Ar they perfect? No. The older 2 got grounded and the younger 2 have been grounded. They have broken a rule or two, they have talked back and they have their moments of being brainless and letting their mouths run, LOL but they have never broken a law. They just happen to have aware and involved parents. Period.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:53 PM on Sep. 5, 2009