Starting a playgroup

I have a 3 year old and an 11 month old. I want to start a playgroup because, to be honest, daycare and dance class is too expensive for me. My toddler is dying to have some friends and there are no playgroups here so i want to start one. Has anyone had any experience doing this?? Or does anyone have any suggestions that could help me figure out how to start one and what to do??

stampmama

Asked by stampmama at 11:46 AM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• There are several types of playgroups. One kind the moms trade hosting the children once a week or so. The moms take turns and drop the children off at the mom of the week's house for a couple hours. Another kind is a mix of play group and coffee morning. The moms take turns meeting in each other's house and the children play and the moms visit and have coffee and a snack. Another kind is a structured play group where the moms take turns and drop the children off, and the host mom uses some special skill that she has for part of the time, and the children play for the rest of the time. I've belonged to all three kinds, and they all have good points. For the structured play group I led the children in yoga, another mom taught songs, another taught painting- in this type of group the children should be about the same age. The coffee/ playgroup is nice to chat with the other moms, and they watch their own children.

Answer by Bmat at 11:53 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• You should get to know the moms before doing the drop off play group. You wouldn't want to drop the child at a place where the mom isn't well known. For me it ended up being a couple moms in the neighborhood and a couple of their friends, all of the moms were well-known. The coffee/ playgroup was one of my fondest memories from when the children were small, it was all neighborhood moms. The structured was valuable since it was a pre-school kind of situation but without the fees.

Answer by Bmat at 11:56 AM on Sep. 4, 2009