9 yr old daughter fighting at school, now she's suspended!!

Im beyond pissed right now. So if you're going to bash, then keep it moving bc I dont have the patience or time for it. My daughter has never been in a fight before but she got in one yesterday with a girl on her sports team, they were leaving practice & my daughter says a girl came up to her & asked her if she wanted to fight & my duaghter said "sure" & pushed the girl. The girl pushed my daughter back & its... (continued below)...

Lextacy

Asked by Lextacy at 11:51 AM on Sep. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• a full blown fight. Right after that incident a boy starts laughing at my daughter & saying she doesn't have any friends so my daughters gets mad & pushed him. He pushed her back & choked her!! Im angry at my daughter bc she put her hands on them FIRST! Ive always taught her the ONLY reason she has to fight is if someone is PHYSICALLY trying to harm her, she has the right to protect herself but thats not what happend here. She's in a world of trouble with me but im having a difficult time coming up with a good punishment. I need suggestions.
    Lextacy

Answer by Lextacy at 11:52 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• This is my daughter's first time ever being on a sports team (its flag football at her school) & practice just started a week ago. My daughter has been telling me that the kids on the team have been making fun of her, picking on her about how she doesnt throw the ball the right way & stuff like that. But when I talked to the coach, he tells me that my daughter has been doing nothing but goofing off during practice & even slapping people in the back of the head & pushing when they are in line. UGH!! I'm so mad at her & just irritated. I thinking of taking her off the team seriously. She said she wants to stay on it, but why the hell should I let her if she's gonna act like a damn fool?!!!!
    Lextacy

Answer by Lextacy at 11:58 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Well the immediate punishment would I would give would be in her room, no TV, phone, computer for a week. I would make her apologize (face to face) to the kids she fought with. Then I would have her write a letter of apology to the team for fighting and then make her read it to the whole team. Then if she ever does it again I'd tell her no more of that sport for the rest of that season.
    mummy22kids

Answer by mummy22kids at 11:59 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• omg the punishment need to be good cuz that cant happen again. why are kids like taht its not cool to fight. umm lets see. my brother use to fight all the time and my mom would strip everything out of there rooms leaveing only there bed and some clothes. they would have to earn back there other stuff. plus they couldnt go anywhere for anything. i dont know if thats what you want to do but thats what my mom did.
    jacobmommy62106

Answer by jacobmommy62106 at 12:00 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• you knpow what i would od i would pull her off that team after making her read that letter. i wouldn't let her have any fun she would be soooo grounded for at lest 2 weeks. no tv no nothing take everything fun from her room. take her down to the police staion and ask them to put her in a holding cell to show her what happens to ppl that fight when they are older and shower her its not a game. its not funny and its not ok to hit someone unless they are going to hurt you. my friends lil girl is in the a whelchair cuz of school kids and fighting. they pushed her down some stairs and now she will never walk again. she needs to understand that by hitting someone esle you can really hurt them maybe even for the rest of there life. but yeah something needs to be done and i hope that it works.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:15 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• yeah time for her to take a break from the team- maybe try again next year or two
    sense how she like to use her hands so much.. i would start by having her do extra chores laundry, vacuum, sweep/mop, raking leaves etc for as long as shes grounded which if she were my kid would be the length of the suspension..
    along with that there would be NO tv, No radio, No ipod,No friends over no going to friends, come to & from school NO outside play, No desserts.
    Also I would have her write a page or two on what she did wrong,why it was a bad idea, how shes going to handle it next time, & if she learned anything.
    Also she should apologize to all the people on her team for goofing off & slapping them.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 2:19 PM on Sep. 4, 2009