Has anyone delt with the loss of a pet with your children???

Our dog passed away last night. Our kids dont know yet. We are going to break the news to them slowly. We'll say he's at the vet very sick, and then in a few days we will tell them. Has anyone delt with the loss of a pet? I dont know how to handle this.

WifeyandMom71

Asked by WifeyandMom71 at 11:58 AM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Pets

• Be open and honest ... cry with them it will help for them to see it's okay tp cry. I don't know what your beliefs are, but I told my children that she was very sick and went to Heaven to be with Jesus where she won't hurt or be sick anymore. We had an open conversation and they told me how much they'd miss her and I gently reminded them that she was hurting and we still have her memories and still love her. Good Luck and give them a hug for me.
    KaylasMiracle

Answer by KaylasMiracle at 12:06 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• KaylasMiracle - Thank you so much.

WifeyandMom71

Answer by WifeyandMom71 at 1:01 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• i went through this when my son's hamster died. just be honest with them. when dog is buried, take them to where the dog is buried at if thats what u do. thats what i did with my son when his hamster died.
    shorty13417

Answer by shorty13417 at 2:00 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• One of our guinea pigs died last week. He was very sick though. He had CHF and pneumonia. We took him to the vet and the medicine did not work. We prepared our oldest daughter by letting her see how sick he was. We went to an indoor waterpark for my birthday, my husband went inside first and found him dead. I told her that he loved us so much he wanted to wait for us to leave so he could die and she would not have to wake up to it. Corny, probably. I also explained to her that sometimes animals do wait until they are alone to die. She helped bury him and we had a funeral at midnight. I think my husband was more broken up than she was.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 5:59 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I would say be open and as honest as youcan. This is something that they will remember. Make it as easy as you can, tell them he went to a better place and that it's somewhere he can play and be happy and not be sick. It will put their mind at ease... Talk about good times with the dog or funny moments, have a little funeral and let them cry, cry with them and comfort them.
    We had to put our cat to sleep last spring and they were very sad but thankful to know he was somewhere he didn't hurt anymore and that our kitty will always live in our hearts and memories... sounds corny but pets are special!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• i just had to go through this the other day we found my dads cat 10 feet away from the driveway he had been hit and he was my dd best friend she aked questions and i told her now hes pain free and he running with his friends i let her pet him and talk to him befor my dad buried him she still a couple day later asks where max is and she gets tearied eyes about it when i explain it once agin she asks y he didnt lover her enough to stay or y i couldnt take him to the vets office those questions break my heart im dreading the day i have to put one of my other animals down do to old age that she close to
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 12:58 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I don't know how old your children are but don't lie to them about the death of the dog! Of course it's heartbreaking but dragging it out will be more so. Just explain the loss and how you and the family will miss the dog but he's in a place where he can watch over your family (heaven?). We just had to put down our 14 yr old dog and our 9yr son took it well; he still talks like Jack is with us but he understands that Jack is in "dog heaven"
    Sorry for your loss!
    IndyGemini

Answer by IndyGemini at 8:34 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• Please do not drag it on!

As an 8 year old my kitten had a hurt leg and my mom said she would take it to the vet and return it after school, she made me go to school. She had the cat put down after telling me I would see it after school. this was horribly traumatizing and I never got to say goodbye.

Your children may want to see and pet the old dog before it goes away, to say goodbye. Make sure you send a note to their teachers as the grief can screw up behaviors and most teachers (the good ones anyway) will understand and help get the children back in routine.
    DragonMom25

Answer by DragonMom25 at 10:16 AM on Sep. 8, 2009

• Thank you ladies for your wonderful advice.
    WifeyandMom71

Answer by WifeyandMom71 at 1:47 PM on Sep. 8, 2009

• When her mice died we told her that mice don't have very long lives, and we had a discussion about how animals and people have different lifespans, so really they were like very old people who had lived full and happy lives. When her cat ran away we just told her the truth, and she still talks about him (it's been 4 years!) but she is ok. She had a harder time when we gave one of our kittens to my brother, even though we will still see him, because (quote) "but Chad will be mean to him! Chad is mean to ME!" and she bawled for an hour. (Btw, he is not mean, just teases her alot. they are very close in age.)
    ccspiratemama

Answer by ccspiratemama at 2:09 AM on Sep. 9, 2009