Do you think that Obama has much opposition because of his "mixed heritage"?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:04 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• So, if someone disagrees with a white politician, it is due to his policies and if one disagrees with a black/mixed politician it is due to his race?

If one writes a book or produces a movie about the assassination of a sitting president who is white, it is art; but if similar were done about a black president it is racist?

If one paints a white president as the Joker, it is art; but if one does the same to a black president it is racist?

If Obama spontaneously combusted tomorrow, and Biden followed the same policies it would be just as scary.

I suppose this hero worship of Obama simply blocks the understanding that someone could be opposed to Obama due to his policies and not his race.

I promise that if my black dh was president, I would support him; but he is also a conservative ;o)
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 1:45 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• No.

I think that the majority of people who disagree with him do so because they disagree with his political policies. Just like any other President who has had people disagree with them - which would be basically all of them.

I do think there are some people who are ignorant enough to not like him because of his ethnicity but I don't think it's the majority of them.

But honestly, I think that for people to keep bringing his race up, and making such a big deal of it (whether they are supporters of him or not) sell him short. Because, after all, when people didn't like Bush or Clinton, the first thing that came to their supporter's minds wasn't "well, it must be because they're white." Give the man the respect to believe that maybe people like him or not based on who he is / what he does - not what color he is or his parents were.

kwim?
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:16 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• HELL YES!

A lot of people won't admit to it though. They SWEAR it's his policies...

Yet, when mocking him they say things like "gubmint"....as if he coming from the ghetto.

very, very prejudice.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:22 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• they use his policies as an argument, but deep down there are MANY who think a black man shold not be president. And I'm sure some thing his policies are terrible BECAUSE he is black. I heard a lady say last week "of course his policies suck, he is black"

Yes, i chewed out this old hag.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:23 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• No. I disagree with his politics and policies. I would have disagreed with Hilary's policies too. Color doesn't come into it. I like Condi Rice and Colin Powell, because of their politics, not their color. I'm Puerto Rican, just like our Sotomayor, but don't like Sotomayor, because of her politics.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 12:26 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I don't like him because of his politics. But, frankly, I wish that Colin Powell had ran / won the nomination / been elected President back when Bush was running.

I form my opinions of a man (or woman) based on their actions and plans (or, in the case of politicians, on their political agendas). I respect him (the President), and I think he needs to be treated with respect. I thought the same about Bush (both of them), and about Clinton, and about Regan. (lol, much beyond that, I was too young to really care who the Pres was...)

But respect for a person doesn't mean that I have to agree with him politically. And frankly, I think for his supporters to say that the only reason people disagree with him is because of race sells him (not his detractors) short. Because it's saying that the ONLY thing about him worth mentioning is his race, and that's not true.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:27 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Look at it like this - it's sort of like how I know there are people who don't like me. I know they don't like me because of who I am what I believe.

I don't automatically assume that the reason they don't like me is because I'm a woman. Yes, there are some ignorant people out there who might not like me for that reason, but the majority of them who don't like me is for reasons that have nothing to do with my gender. :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:31 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• No get over it some of you are looking for a answer to this failure at playing president, so you play the race card because you will never admit he is evil because of who he is not what color he is.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Don't you think the race card has been over played by now? Give it a rest already! It's not his color it's his poliicies and Marxist idologies!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• No, but I do think that he has a large opposition because he is running an administration full of clowns. I mean, it's just like going to the circus. He is the MC and then comes the clown car. One after another they emerge from the small doors, with their crazy backgrounds and connections. Just as you think 'they couldn't have possibly have fit another clown in that car', ANOTHER CLOWN EMERGES! It's a never ending circus.  They certainly give us plenty to talk about though.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:52 PM on Sep. 4, 2009