To Witches, Wiccans, & Magical Folke

Most of us like books and movies depicting magic such as harry potter, but sometimes those who are ignorant of pagan beliefs confuse these fictional tales with real life beliefs. I am a writer working on a story that is of a fictional witch who discovers mass elemental magic. I have used some pagan beliefs but they are highly fictionalized for entertainment purposes. My question to you ladies is this, would you find it irritating that a Wiccan would use some aspects of what is true to us, for a fictional tale? Rest assured that IF my book is ever published it will have some kind of disclaimer so no young witch gets caught up in the fantasy and takes my words as a guide for new witches.

SalemWitchChild

Asked by SalemWitchChild at 12:06 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm not a witch, but I have a similar issue very often. Heathenry has a very specific history that is fully documented, indexed and cross referenced eight ways til Sunday. It still doesn't stop people from making movies and writing books about the gods or the sagas that have absolutely no bearing on reality. At this point, most of us are resigned to anything we see being nothing more than parody even if it thinks it's being serious, but it's most frustrating if it's someone that should know better. Stan Lee making a Thor movie based on the Thor comic book, it's as much as can be expected. When someone writes their own Viking Saga after first researching the Eddas, but giving everyone powers that don't exist and creating scenes that could never happen, that's when it's irritating.

You can make it fantastic, but still accurate, if that makes sense?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:18 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• It wouldn't bother me. All fiction has elements of truth to it. I let my kid watch stuff with pretend magic like Harry Potter all the time. He likes to pretend to cast spells on stuff with a chopstick but he also knows about real spells and magic.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 12:20 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Since it's a fictional book, it will be placed with other fictional books anyways, so it won't get confused with any non-fiction books. So I wouldn't worry too much about authenticity. Because it has a disclaimer as well, no one should be offended by it. Although it would be nice to see a fictional book written, that uses Wicca or other like religions as it truly was. Perhaps if you get this book published you could write another that is more factual :).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:33 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• No, I see nothing wrong with the fictional portrail of Wicca, Paganism or any other religion. One of my favorite movies is the Craft! They actually had a Wiccan Priestess on set and one of the actresses is Pagan. They wanted it to be as close to real as Hollywood would allow. Although fantacy, I still love the movie. It shows many real truths about Magick, like the idea of what we do returns and the idea that it's not the magick that's bad, but what we do with it. Of course there were also some rather "out there" scenes but that's to be expected... Still love it!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:41 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I agree Sabrina, one of my Favorites is Practical Magic.

But I can see how those that are ignorant, and only believe what they WANT to believe, and can misjudge a lot based on that movie.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 12:57 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• *BTW, I want to read this book you are writing mama!
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 12:58 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Although I've come full circle in my spiritual journey, and as of very recently I no longer practice using any magic, etc, I think the book sounds really cool and I wouldn't think people would be offended. Any novel that is clearly fiction is going to have that aspect to it. I mean, there are novels that try to be realistic about magic, etc. but they still have clearly fictional aspects regarding the way magic is presented. Anyway, good luck with your book. I would love to read it, it sounds very interesting. : ) I hope it get published!

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:18 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• It wouldn't bother me at all. So often the truth is hidden in plain sight on movies anyway, that no one believes it. And the funny thing is that although Harry Potter is an amazing series, its just ridiculously false - yet everyone thinks its the truth. Twisted I know. Anyways it doesn't matter if you poured out secretes in your book...society teaches its not real...and that is what ppl believe.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 1:43 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• It wouldnt bother me at all. Especially if you have a disclaimer! Although I would hope that even young witches would realize what is fictional...
    mamaboys0207

Answer by mamaboys0207 at 1:59 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I promose when it is done I will announce it to all my friends. :) The title (For now anyway) is Humanly goddess.

While I use some elements of pagan religions I cannot make it all factual. I simply do not want to be an outlet for misunderstandings. Last thing I wish to do is perpetuate myths about paganism.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 2:04 PM on Sep. 4, 2009