help with 4 year old peeing the bed.......She has been potty trained for quiet a while and she was potty trained at bedtime at 23 months old she is 4 almost 4.5 now and still wets the bed not everynight, but most nights.

I know she has to wake up sometime during the night cause every morning she wakes up her wet clothes are on the floor and she has no clothes on, but I don't know if she wakes up after the fact or before, but is to tired to go potty or doesn't make it in time. She doesn't drink 2.5 hours before bed she has been checked out at the dr so no problems there. But her room smells straight up like pee I have to scrub her room every single day and was her bedding everysingle day and it is getting on my nerves. How can I get her not to wet the bed? I was going to put diapers back on her to bed, but I was telling hubby about it one day she over heard and then said I can have a binki then which she never took I think if I do that it is going to cause more problems. She wont go to bed even until half the time after 11 but she still pees the bed. Help what can I do to get her to go potty in the middle of the night?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• It may be a way of seeking attention. I don't know how much time you spend with her per day, but maybe whatever time you are spending with her isn't enough. Maybe she needs a bedtime routine. Read her a book, put on some quiet music(no tv) and give her a special stuffed animal or doll to hold. Try a small reward for her if she no longer pees the bed. Let her know you'll buy her new slippers or a new nightgown if she doesn't pee the bed anymore. Ask her if something scared her. Maybe something happened or she saw something that frightened her. I can't believe your pediatrician doesn't have any other solutions for you to help her stop wetting the bed. I know alot of kids do it and sometimes it's a medical problem sometimes psychological.

My kids use to be up til midnight some nights, it was chaotic around here. Then I finally quit my job and they were finally down by 10. Now with school it's 8:30. They are 4 and 5.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 12:23 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I have an older bed wetter, but we determined that he is more likely to wet the bed when he stays up late. We *think* what happens is that when he stays up late he ends up so dead tired that he doesn't wake up when he needs to go to the bathroom.

I got tired of dealing with the smelly sheets and pajamas and got my child some Pull Ups/Goodnight's/UnderJam's. It was too much stress.

You real should consider getting her into bed at a reasonable and consistent time and using a diaper until she stops wetting the bed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I just want to add that i know how frustrating it is for a child to be up that late, especially that young. But with enough consistency she'll go to bed earlier the earlier you wake her up. i'm a night owl and that was the hardest thing for me to do(waking up early) but it was actually more of a blessing in the long run. Good luck.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 12:24 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I am a SAHM so it isn't like she doesn't see me. I could understand having problems to get her to bed if I worked, but I don't I haven't worked since I was 7 months pregnant with her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I read someplace that when some children bedwet, it's because they're getting inadequate fiber in their diet. An overloaded bowel presses on the nighttime relaxed bladder, and they wet. Small children very often aren't awaken at night by an overloaded bladder, so they wet the bed. Have you tried a small increase in bran, fruit, veggies in her diet? I probably need to do that at my house.
    mimismom436

Answer by mimismom436 at 7:22 AM on Sep. 5, 2009