Confused on what to do relating to switching formulas

My 1 month old is currently on enfamil soy formula. initially we started him on regular enfamil and he would cry and stiffen up like if he was in real pain after feedings and then there was a trace of blood in his stool.. The ped told us he most likely has a milk allergy and told us to go to nutrimigen. we did for a couple of days but then switched him to the soy which did calm him down but now he has major issues with constipation, he strains and cries everytime he is trying to go and has hard little stools now. I asked the nurse today and she said that he should switch back to the nutrimigen because the soy can be causing the constipation. I dont know what to do..I dont want my little one to be hurting anymore and dont want to keep changing formulas left and right..any advise please?

x03e09

Asked by x03e09 at 12:16 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Why don't you want to use the nutramigen? I know its spendy but it does work for allergy in little ones. Its softer on their systems. If you have insurance, they might cover some of the cost of it; my girlfriend did this for her son.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:22 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Same exact thing happened with my son, now 12 months. After my breast milk dried up, put him on similac. Things were too harsh, changed to enfamil. Well, had to put him on nutramigen. We just went straight to it at that point and within a couple days he was better. Left him on nutramigen for 7 weeks. Now when we were ready to see if he could handle formula we went with enfamil. Then what we did is this...I mixed 4 cups of formula. So I added 1 scoop enfamil and 15 mutraigen. And every couple days readjusted by one scoop. My mother told me to do this, so not to irritate his system. My niece is on nutramigen as well, since about 2 months and is a year in a week. Also allergic to soy and milk. Nutramigen is a corn base. Expensive. But if you qualify for WIC, in most states w a doctors script WIC will provide it. My son is now drinking whole milk and tolerated the switch well. I was worried, because I was allergic as well.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 12:24 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I would go back to the nutrimigen for a 3-4 days without switching between anything else if it were me. If he is still really constipated talk to your pediatrician about giving him something for the constipation or if he can have a little juice (like 1-2 oz watered down).
    Smixxy_jmm

Answer by Smixxy_jmm at 12:24 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• The doctor told you to put him on a specific formula for a specific reason. You took it upon yourself not to do it.

DO IT!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:37 PM on Sep. 4, 2009