How many SAHM's mothers were SAHMs?

Do you think your mother being a SAHM influenced you one way or the other when it came to staying at home with your children?

twin_mommy

Asked by twin_mommy at 12:19 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• No she didn't. I've never wanted to be anything like her. It's only coincidence that I also ended up as a stay at home mom.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:21 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• My mother was never a SAHM. She had to go back to school and work after divorcing my sperm donor.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• My Mom was a SAHM until we got into High School. She took a job then because of my Dad's health problems.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• My mom was a SAHM until I was 12, my parents divorced then and mom had to go to work. I was very upset that she wasn't home anymore. I think it did effect my being a SAHM, because I saw it both ways as a kid, and I thought it was much better when my mom was home.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 12:25 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• My mom wasn't a SAHM, and I felt that even though she spent time with us in the morning, evenings and weekends that I missed out on a lot, especially as a small child.

I knew that I wanted to have a professional career, but if I decided to have a child/children I was going to be a SAHM or my husband would stay home.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 12:29 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• My mom was the same as anon :24. She had to go to work when my dad had surgery when i was only 7. I was the oldest and had 3 siblings. I didn't like the fact she worked so much, she worked a night shift (and has been there almost 25 years now) and even though she was my girl scout leader for three years, I didn't have as much time as I NEEDED with her. I didn't feel it was fair, even now i resent the fact my father didn't go back to work.

I want to be with my kids as much as possible. I have worked part time 3-4 hours 3 days a week at most and even that was stressful for my kids and it was very chaotic around here. So i quit. I want my kids to be able to know that they can depend on me, even when we don't agree, I will support them in whatever they want to do in life.

CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 12:29 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• My mom was a SAHM until I was in Middle school and then she started doning substitute teaching so that she only worked while we were in school. I loved having her home until I was in High School and then the only reason I didn't like it was because I was wishing she was at work so I could do things that wouldve gotten me in trouble so yes it influenced me to be a SAHM and now I'm in school to become a teacher. That way I can be with the kid(s) until they reach school age and then have the same schedule as them.
    landensmommy411

Answer by landensmommy411 at 12:33 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• My mom was, and still is, a SAHM. Well she was a SAHM and now she's a SAHGM. lol It definitely influenced me in my choice to stay home. We didn't get away with anything in the afternoons, while a lot of my friends found all kinds of trouble to get into when their parents were working. And she always told me that we came home from school with an excitement about our day that waned as the afternoons wore on and she wanted to be there when we walked in to get the full account. I find that's true with my kids - if I ask to hear about their day at 3:30 I get a lot more information than if I ask about their day at 6:00. I wouldn't want to miss that!

Answer by missanc at 12:53 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• My mom was for a while. We were military. When I was about 6 or 7, dad left the Air Force and she's been working ever since.

It didn't influence my choice to become a SAHM, but she was sort of a good one when she was one. I'm nothing like her, though. I'm involved in whatever my DDs need, and attend just about everything my oldest DD has going on at school, something my mom NEVER did.
    ThaMCE

Answer by ThaMCE at 1:04 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• My mom was a SAHM my entire life. She quit her job the week she was due with me in 1976. The only time she worked in my entire life was a year and a half when I was in high school and my brother was in junior high. She had a part time job at a nursing home I think because she was bored and needed something to do. She got fired over a misunderstanding and then worked for my neighbor's grandmother as an in-home helper for a few months until the lady went to a nursing home. She never worked again after that. She died when she was 51 and I was 23.
    I always wanted to be a SAHM like she was.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:06 PM on Sep. 4, 2009