I don't want to say my 4.5 year old has ADHD, but I really am thinking twice about it. What do you think? I don't want to put her on meds though she is on the go all day long and never stops. She runs through the house screaming playing with her sister or the puppy when I tell her to stop she stops for a minute or 2 and starts it again

We go to the store we put the youngest in the cart so she has to walk I am trying to teach her to walk and not to be in the cart anyway, but she will run down the aisle or touch everything and i mean everything. If you stop to look at something she will be on the floor spinning or trying to do a flip or whatever it is she is doing lol. She wont take naps for me anymore since she was 3 but I do send her to her room for shh time why sissy sleeps and to try to take a nap. Bedtime she will find any reason possible to get out of bed. Her bedtime is 8pm I cannot ger her to go to sleep half the time until 11 or even midnight help? She wakes at 7 or 8 I feel she isn't getting enough sleep. She is crabby first thing in the morning and whinny. So I end up sending her back to her room for a little. Hubby and I both had ADHD when we were kids so I don't know fi she might what can I do about this? Exspecially the sleep at night?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:24 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• As far as bedtime goes...run it by her pediatrician...but try melatonin just 1/2 mg - 1 mg it's a natural supplement that helps your body calm down and get ready for rest. I use it with my 5 and 9 yr olds...5 yr old takes 1 mg 9 year old takes 2 mg and they are asleep within 1/2 hr - 1 hr. My son was exactly like your daughter, but has been caught up as late as 1 am before...so I feel for you.
    KaylasMiracle

Answer by KaylasMiracle at 12:28 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• yes hse has been cought up at 4am before when she was 2 years old I thought she was asleep. is it over the counter? when do you give it to them?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I would get her into some sort of dance class, soccer, karate or sports activity, something that would be a routine thing that would run the stink off of her! I am with you, would NOT want to medicate, use all that energy and put her to work, let her sweep the floor or dust with a cloth, DANCE! Turn some music on and tell her that you want to see her CRAZIEST dance! I have three boys (oldest is almost seven, middle is almost five and youngest just turned one) and on those days where it feels like they are just bouncing off the walls, I turn them loose at the park!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 1:05 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Try removing red die from her diet first as well as caffiene if you haven't already. If she's ADHD these 2 things help. I do have a daughter who was put on meds at 5 because she was bouncing off the walls. She was miserable half the time because she was always in trouble with preK teachers because she couldn't sit still and would actually hurt the other kids in her over exuberince. The dr put her on a very low dose and the turn about in her was amazing! She became a very happy little girl able to play with her friends without becoming overly agressive, learned things, etc.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 1:31 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• i think you should go to amazon and look at the multitude of books on treating adhd without meds, there are lots of therapies, most involve removing all sugar and simple starches, kids with adhd crave it more, it is instant fuel.... look into that...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 1:51 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• baconbits she doesn't get red dye she doesn't even get juice very often it is usually water or milk unless Fridays cause we go out to eat and I will let her have one cup of sprite but that is all she gets and I don't give her caffine as it is. So that is pretty much out of her diet anyway except Fridays. Yes my DD can't sit still either she loves to learn so we have been doing workbooks together, but she is always looking around why doing them or standing up then sitting back down or she gets up to get some water whatever. She does have 2 little girls near by that she plays with, but they fight more than anything cause she will start trying to annoy them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:53 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• 1) If you had ADHD as kids, you still have it. ADHD does not go away, you don't out grow it.

2) If you truly have ADHD it is quite probable she has it. There is a genetic link.

3) Just because she has it (IF she has it) does not automatically mean medication.

4) She needs to be evaluated to see if she does have it. She needs to be evaluated by a trained professional (psychologist or developmental pediatrician), but unless the behavior is extreme, you should not receive a diagnosis until she is in school (but they should be willing to monitor her)

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:38 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• How does ADHD affect you as a adult? I am on zoloft for depression I don't know if that is what it is for an adult?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Melatonin is over the counter you can get it at Walmart, Walgreens, almost any pharmacy or even grocery stores. I tried the med route with my son, he was diagnosed as adhd at age 3/4 but no meds ever helped. At age 7 he was evaluated by a new doctor after being med free for 6 mnths and he is now diagnosed as having Asperger's. We have remained drug free and are seeing improvements with therapy.

I don't consider Melatonin a "medication" because it is a chemical the body produces naturally, it is what makes you sleepy after a big meal...think Thanksgiving dinner.

I hope this helps and feel free to message me anytime!
    KaylasMiracle

Answer by KaylasMiracle at 9:46 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Part of the issue may be that she isn't getting enough sleep. When my son doesn't get enough sleep he does a lot of the types of things your daughter does. Just try to be firm, and when she first gets out of bed at 8, just keep putting her back to bed. (check out supernanny's method....it works well from everything I understand, and when I used a bit of it, it worked for us too)
    ProudSingleMum

Answer by ProudSingleMum at 1:54 AM on Sep. 6, 2009