help me I don't know what to do and I am getting aggrivated?

My 20 month old is in this bitting stage and I don't know what to do my oldest never went through this. She has been doing this for quiet a while now. She gets frusterated or mad and bits. She has bit her older sister more than a few times she has bit the little girl next door about 2 or 3 times made her bleed once and bruised her the next she bits and holds on. She bit my mom one time she almost bite me, but I told her she bits me that will be the last thing she does lol. I have smacked her in the mouth and butt. Someone told me to try soap in the mouth, but it doesn't work. Then my grandma said to bt her back she said she done that with her kids and it worked so did a friend of mine, but when I did that it was a mistake she only bits worse now help me. I sat her down nothing stops it. She will even bit herself or bit the toy in her hand or the chair she is sitting on. Anything else I can try I may not have tried?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:30 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Put her somewhere safe and ignore her for a few minutes. If she does it again when she comes out of time-out, put her right back with minimal reaction. Try to make it as boring as possible for her. It is possible she is doing this for negative attention. My friend's daughter does this, and I notice she seems to feed off the reaction she is getting, even though they may result in a pop on the mouth or punishment. She knows that if she bites, mommy will notice and make noise. Say "no, that hurts" and just put her in time out. When she comes out of time out, if she doesn't bite again, give her a lot of positive attention (hugs, kisses, fun toys/activities, etc.) and if she bites again, say nothing and put her back in time out. It is a phase. My son does the same, but only, he hits instead.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Wow, have you talked to her pedi. about this at all? or possibly the dentist? I would ask her if her teeth hurt her. I don't know, that sounds so extreme.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 12:37 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• well she is only 20 months so you ask her something she says yes or no doesn't mean anything lol. I have talked to her doctor when I took her in for her 18 month check which I rescheduled so she didn't go until 19 months she told me to try time outs and that is what I have been doing now which isn't working.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Biting is normal for that age. It is a way for the child to express them self when the are tired, hungry, frustrated or overly excited. Most of the time it is not a vicious act. Biting the child back just reinforces the behavior. Try positive reinforcement instead.

Give the child that was bit attention first, tell your child that biting hurts show her the mark tell her "ouch" so that she understands that she hurt that person. Try to figure out what happened when she bit that person help her with words to express herself. But mostly just watch her when she is around others intervene before she bites.  There is also a children's book out called Teeth are not for biting.

It's a frustrating situation my son went through this stage. They do grow out of it. Good luck :)

collinsmommy_06

Answer by collinsmommy_06 at 12:57 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• A friend's son did the same thing. Her doctor told her to immediately put the child into his/her room and leave them for about 10 minutes. If you're out, use the car seat (clearly making sure that the door/windows are open for air in the heat). A stroller put into a corner somewhere would also work. The doctor also said it's a good thing that he bites himself because he'll realize it hurts.. (Yes, a bit weird but that's what he said...) My son kept biting me. I would tell him no and completely ignore him for a while. A few times I actually had to leave the room to prevent him from coming after me (we'd gated a section of our house where he was safe). That eventually did the trick but admittedly, he never bit any one but my husband and me.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 1:39 PM on Sep. 4, 2009