what things are pointless?

wondering what things people didn't use? or what the really did use a lot of when they had a baby.

i had the diaper genie we didn't use it like we were suppose to but we found our system was better less bag wastage.

changing table?
play pen?

anything else

breast feeding and bottle feeding probably will occur.

bmboyce

Asked by bmboyce at 12:32 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Pointless for my family - crib comforters (never used), fancy burp cloths (never used), bouncy seats (none of my kids ever liked these, but I hear most people love them), umbrella strollers, huge diaper bag (used twice - wouldn't fit in the basket under our stroller), fancy blankets

Very useful for my family - swing (for 1 of my 3 kids), boppy pillow (for 1 of my 3 kids), cloth diapers for burp cloths, highchairs, floor gym, cribs, infant carseats (did not have travel system, but used the infant seats as long as possible), nursing pillow, good breast pump, disposable liners for bottles, links to attach toys to everything, receiving blankets, bibs without velcro, battery charger

Things that were useful for only a brief period of time - pack & play (only used it for about 3 months as a bassinet), bumbo chairs (used off and on for a couple of months), Excersaucer & Jumparoo (used a lot for about 3 months)
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 1:20 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• We didn't ever use our changing table, except to keep clothes on.. LOL
    Actually, her changing table was a dresser, with a changing "area" on top. I used it ONE time with her, she was only a few days old (she couldn't come home from the hospital til she was 3 days old), and she pooped while I was changing her, and her poop sprayed all over the wall, down my arm, on the curtains, etc. So.. needless to say, I didn't ever want to experience that again, so from then on we just changed her in the bathroom. :-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:37 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Did not use:
    crib
    baby swing
    stroller
    playpen
    pump & bottles
    changing table
    diapering accessories (like wipes heater...)

Did use:
    slings
    bouncey seat
    car seat
    cloth diapers/diaper service
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:40 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• We use the changing table for storage, mostly.
    Never had a diaper genie. We just re-used plastic bags from the grocery store.
    Bottle warmers, never used it, had a small crock pot instead.
    Wipey warmer, could have used very much, but not something that you HAVE to have.
    Play pen = awesome for cleaning house, chemicals or anything when baby is awake.

I think that's about it.
    Good luck!!
    dayziesnrozes

Answer by dayziesnrozes at 12:41 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Our swing was a HEAVEN when my DD was teething. She literally would not sleep unless she was in it.

One kind of pointless thing that we bougth was a "travel system" with the car seat, stroller and base. We NEVER used the stroller and car seat together. And the car seat is huge, so it takes up a ton of space. You'd be better off spending the money for a "convertable car seat" (one that goes from 5 lbs to like 50 lbs so they can use it as an infant all the way through as a booster chair) and a cheap stroller and you should be fine. :-)

Goood luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I used my changing table the first 6 months or so. Then it became a storage unit.
    I didn't do a Diaper Genie or a Baby Wipe Warmer. Ridiculous.
    I used my Boppy daily.
    I did use my pack-n-play.
    My stroller got quite a work out. We went a lot of places.
    The baby swing didn't get a lot of use, but that seems to be different with each baby.
    The walker/play center we received didn't get much use.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Ditto on the travel system,we used each part separately(only together once or twice). I don't even use the stroller anymore because I have a lighter more convenient one that works just as well. It even has a little bag and umbrella attached to it.

I used my changing table a lot so I guess it just depends on how you plan to do things.

I didn't use my diaper stacker...
    AutumnsMom31309

Answer by AutumnsMom31309 at 1:08 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• We didn't use:
    crib
    bottles
    pacifiers
    swing
    stroller
    "What to Expect the First Year"
    Store baby foods, so much easier just to make my own
    Baby monitor
    Bassinet
    Pack and Play

We used:
    sling/ wrap
    Diaper Genie 2 (but we will be using cloth diapers this time)
    changing table
    "The Baby Book" By Martha Sears and Dr. Sears
    Retrieving Blankets

That is all I can think of right now!
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 1:12 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• we didnt use alot of newborn clothes he never got to wear all of them, also he never used his teethers and little dangly baby toys, cart cover and changing table
    Ruby11

Answer by Ruby11 at 3:04 PM on Sep. 4, 2009