What is the deal with Social Security Disability?

I have a friend who was diagnosed as being bipolar when she was a child. She is compliant with her meds and has been for years, no problems with her going off her meds. She was however told that she would not be able to complete her med assisting clinical's because of the meds she is on. WTH, first I am upset with the college for not saying anything before she completed almost all of the course work. OK so she goes to apply for jobs, anything and not even McD's will hire her because of the meds and her condition. She doesn't want to lie like other people in her position do. So after being turned down several times from several jobs she applies for Disability and gets turned down. In the letter they sent her they actually told her to find a job that has low stress, a quite environment and doesn't require her to deal with people. Can someone please tell give me a suggestion as to what kind of job that is?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Money & Work

• Also, in the meantime her condition is getting worse with the added stress and her doctor has upped her meds to compensate for the added stress. She also has obtained a lawyer, but to fight social security its going to take at least two years.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:38 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• She needs to just appeal it and take it to court. I just got denied myself...I have breathing problems and get winded after 1 flight of stairs. They told me that because I worked as customer service for 1 year (which was actually 2 months) that I should do that again...oh yeah that job was 10 years ago...I can no longer do the lifting involved in that job. They deny everyone!!! Just keep fighting! Good Luck!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:44 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I personally think disability is too easy to get. My ex is on it - he had a heart attack 5, yes 5, years ago and now says he can't work. Why the hell not? He finds the time to go rock climbing and canoing, I certainly think he can work a job and pay child support!

Answer by missanc at 12:56 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I personally think disability is too easy to get.

Disability is NOT "too easy" to get. It can take YEARS for your case to be approved. YEARS. And social disability is a program that you pay into when you WORK, so it's not the same thing as welfare. SSD is EARNED. I'm so sick of people who don't know anything about the program saying how easy it is to get on it. It's NOT. It took me almost 2 years to get my case approved. And yes, I am disabled, and YES, I did work. You don't like it? Too bad. Get over it.

Back to your question. Your friend needs to appeal her case. It could take awhile, but tell her not to give up. She needs to get medical records so she can prove her case. All she needs to do is call her doctor and request them.

Good luck.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 3:31 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• She asked my opinion and I gave it. My ex is on social security disability, even though he's only worked 11 years in his entire life when he was paying in - surely not enough to cover his disability from now until he dies, so the extra money is coming from somewhere, it's coming from ME! And I do know all about the program - I actually have a child who is on SSI, which is another social security program, and I know what my ex went through (very little) to get his disability approved.

Answer by missanc at 8:56 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I worked 2 jobs at once,for 10 years, it was not my intention to be stricken with a spinal tumor,I have had 5 operations,chemo twice,and radiation, I will admit there are some people who never worked or planned on working, I loved working,I have been disabled now for 20 yrs., I am so blessed I have a loving family,now,you have to remember,my money I receive is based on the money I made 20 yrs. ago.I have been blessed by my SSD(money I worked for), not SSI(money that 's given those who didn't work,like PA), my SSD was already in placed before I left-ed the hospital and rehab, it has been a journey,from walking to being in a wheelchair to a walker,and now a cane,everyday is another miracle day for me.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• What school is she going to? They cannot tell her that she has to go off of her medications in order to complete her education. That is completely illegal for them to do. As far as applying for SSDI. In order to get disability a person has to have paid into the system. So a person with very little work history is not going to get much. A person also has to show that they are no longer able to do the work that they have been doing. If she has been doing some type of other work, they will expect her to go back to it. Many people who have Bipolar disorder work. They will also look at the fact that she was able to attend a training program. If you can go to school you can work. I am not really buying your friend's story because no one has the legal right to ask her about her disability or medications. If she is offering up this information on her own she needs to be quiet.

FL2AK

Answer by FL2AK at 11:26 PM on Sep. 4, 2009