What kind of Dog?

I want to get my girls a dog. They are 3 and 1. I'd like to have something kind of big, that will be easy to house train, and will be gentle and kind of protective of the girls. I'd like to have the dog be an inside/outside dog. Someone is always home at my house except for about 3 hours a day. That's when we'll put the dog outside. :) Any suggestions on a breed that suits what i'm looking for?

MarleighsMommy

Asked by MarleighsMommy at 12:53 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in Pets

• lol... i got a black lab at 8wks. hes about 11 months now. he stays inside BUT... i think hes going to be an outside dog next summer. SHEDS like crazy!! i'll sweep & try 2 post a picture of his daily hair in one room! they are gentle & smart tho. he was house broke in 2 days. learned to sit & shake in about 20 mins. (even as hyper as he is) & carries water bottles 2 company if asked lol.. learned in like 30 secs. AND the rule with labs... they will chew all your stuff if u allow them to get bored! they need to run & be more crazy than any other dog.. && did i mention our 11 month old lab is 100 lbs!!! hes healthy && they eat a LOT!!!
    burr_and_e

Answer by burr_and_e at 3:47 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• a lab
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:54 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Lab or Golden Retriever

mommymine3

Answer by mommymine3 at 12:58 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• They've got an 8 months old female lab at the animal shelter here. You think she'll chew up everything in my house? lol I was looking for a young dog, but that's a little younger than I was thinking.
    MarleighsMommy

Answer by MarleighsMommy at 1:02 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I have a cocker spaniel i bought him when he was 3 months old and my kids were 5 and 6 and my youngest was 3 months old! He is wonderful! I love him very patient with the kids and very smart.
    neveragain17

Answer by neveragain17 at 1:05 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I had a pitbull with my daughter. We were training him to duck hunt untill he got sick and died. I will never own another breed! I would do your research on different breeds and think about grooming and health problems. I got my pitbull when he was 8 months. He was abused and had no training. By the time he was two he could sit, walk on or off the leash, pick up his toys, get me my purse, speak, shake, lie down, pull weights, fetch, he only barked when he was told or if someone was poking around our house, and he could do back flips. I'm sure w/e u pick will be a great choice. good luck
    MaKettle87

Answer by MaKettle87 at 1:21 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Golden retriever is the breed for you, easy to train, great family dog, not aggressive, if you want a guard dog then this isnt the breed for you.They do well inside or out and they are greaaaaatttttt wit kids. love the breed
    itainteasy25

Answer by itainteasy25 at 2:53 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• ooh!! && with young kids... i'd recommend a puppy. some older dogs have issues with children.. especially when kids get bored and start pestering the dog!! its safer to have a pup so it'll be use to it! lol
    burr_and_e

Answer by burr_and_e at 3:52 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• A German Shepherd!!! We got ours as a puppy last September. She's a little over a year old now and she's wonderful. She has a great temperament, is very playful and loving. Shepherds are also very protective of their family.
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 4:53 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• If you don't mind brushing the dog everyday, a german shepherd. We got a white one when he was 8 weeks old and my 3 kids (5,4,2 yrs old) absolutely adore him! He's very loving, but still a bit clumsy cuz he's still a puppy (8 months). Big dogs as puppies are kinda like teens, all legs and very clumsy! Just be attentive when they play cuz the dog will forget that he's a dog and accidently knock smaller kids over. Happens w/ my youngest often, but never hurt. She just doesn't like getting dirty
    R-Mart

Answer by R-Mart at 5:27 PM on Sep. 4, 2009