Has anyone delt with the loss of a pet with your children???

Our dog passed away last night. Our kids dont know yet. We are going to break the news to them slowly. We'll say he's at the vet very sick, and then in a few days we will tell them. Has anyone delt with the loss of a pet? I dont know how to handle this

WifeyandMom71

Asked by WifeyandMom71 at 1:02 PM on Sep. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• I am so sorry for your loss. We have lost a few pets, and had to deal with telling the kids.
    I think it is best to be open and honest with the kids. For your dog I would say something like "Jake died last night. Animals don't have as long of a life as people, it was his time to go. He will always be with us in our memories and in our hearts. It is ok to be sad. I am sad too". When our cats died, we had a 'funeral' for them and laid them to rest in the side yard. The kids got to say goodbye, and talk about the pet, the good times, what they remembered most. You may want to have some type of service or rememberance for the dog, and share stories of your dog.
    Another thing that helped to comfort my kids was the poem Rainbow Bridge, I will pm it to you as it won't fit here.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:50 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• the best way to deal with it when it comes to kids is to be blunt and honest. tell them he died no reason to fib and say hes at the vet. Tell him he just died and if u believe in heaven tell them thats where he went. also tell them hes happy where he is. his time was just over
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:06 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• My daughter was only 16 months when our dog died. She kept calling him whenever we went by his area outside. It was sad. I cried. She is okay now that she is around other animals. Anyway, good luck.
    MaKettle87

Answer by MaKettle87 at 1:07 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• It would be a perfect time to start teaching them about death. Then if you can maybe go as a family to the rescue shelter and get another dog or puppy.
    busymom1107

Answer by busymom1107 at 1:11 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• my nephew still brings his dog up and he has been dead for a good while.. more then a yr... the kids are goin to react the same way no matter how u break it to them
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:11 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I wouldn't tell them the dog is at the vet because then if any other animal has to go to the vet in the future they may think that animal isn't ever coming back either. We have a lot of animals including 3 dogs. One of them was real old and had a tumor (it was a dog we got when I was in 5th grade & I've been out of school 5yrs now so it lived a long life) but when we put her down we just told our son that Dolly had to go byebye and that pops was going to take care of her (pops was my gpa who passed away right before our dog did) He still asks about the dog but then says 'its ok pops play with her'
    landensmommy411

Answer by landensmommy411 at 1:40 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• My son was3 when our pit(we adopted from hubs friend) had to be put down. We told him Linas in heaven with Bear(in laws dog) and he was sad but ok with that. Hell b 5 nov and still talks about both dogs a lot
    oddballj

Answer by oddballj at 2:06 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• How old are your children? We had to put our dog of 8 yrs down due to kidney failure. I swear I did not want to get out of bed for about two weeks. It was like losing a family member. I told my children who were 5, 8, and 13 at the time, that he had been getting sick to his stomach...bile I did not mention that part, and that we took him to the doctors. The doctors said he was so sick that no medicine would make him better. They did offer us to take him home, said he would live a month or two more...but I would never want him to continue suffering, so we let him go then and there. They wrapped him in a little blanket all snug like a package. I brought him home, my DH burried him. I broke the new to the kids, and took them to pick out a "headstone' at one of those cement statue places..."our beloved pet" marker is still there. We stood together as a fam and cried. Death is a sad part of life. So sorry for your loss.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:30 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Look Into a Poem called "The Rainbow Bridge" it's beautiful and easy to explain to a child. Sorry for the loss of your pet.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 3:24 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Thank you ladies for your support. Your words have helped. My kids are 5 & 9. Thanks again.
    WifeyandMom71

Answer by WifeyandMom71 at 4:33 PM on Sep. 4, 2009